ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: FREE tank, stand, glass top and lighting fixture

Silver Member

Default FREE tank, stand, glass top and lighting fixture

I am giving away for free my 72 gallon oak bow front tank, stand, glass top and matching fluorescent light. The center support rail cracked, but the tank is sound. I am located in Wantagh, NY. Pick up only. If interested please reply to my inbox.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/member.php?56239-jim-LI

0613211906.jpg

0615211250.jpg

0615211250a.jpg

0615211251.jpg

Default Re: FREE tank, stand, glass top and lighting fixture

That is such a beautiful set up. I think it could be easily fixed with a couple of clamps and super glue. I'd give it a go but I live in Mississippi.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I agree with Liz...I love the sleek look of the bow front tanks...I'd reckon Tom (limnit) might snap that one up being a New Yorker!! Nice offer Jim

Real Name
    Willie

I have an old 125 gal tank that I use only for water conditioning. Every day it gets almost completely drained, then completely refilled. When the top brace snapped, the glass wall would bulge out 1" - 1.5" when full. So I got a piece of aluminum (Home Depot), bent it (vise and hammer) into a brace like this,

Picture1.jpg

and slipped it over the top. It's not particularly noticeable. Still using that tank to condition water 2 years later.
    Last edited by Willie; 06-22-2021 at 06:44 PM.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

That was a smart fix, Willie.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jake

Not sure if clamps and superglue would be able to hold it long term, but I know a good quality 2-part epoxy would.

This one from HomeDepot works for most plastics and has a very high tensile strength. You'd want to clean up the plastic as much as possible, but it should be a good permanent fix.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

As big a fan as I am of JB weld, if anyone is going to try this I would recommend cutting 1/16 plexiglass to the same size as the brace all the way up to the front glass and toward the back about 1/2 the length of the brace, make two and then sandwich with clamps (top to bottom) the original plastic brace, epoxy, plexiglass, epoxy, plexiglass. Strong as JB weld is just gluing the crack as a butt joint will not hold.

Jim I really like the tank and live about 90 minutes away (Howell, NJ). Surprised none of the Long Island folks have snapped this up. My situation is that I have 2 125s a 75 and 50 all currently empty and on hold. Two parents that are elderly, frail and high maintenance, one in Houston and one in Fl. Also I am kinda beat up after 30 in the Army and RA and a few other issues. I will come get the tank, but probably will not fire it up for 6-9 months till some other issues are resolved. Just FYI will have 2 adult discus planted tanks in the 125s, grow out in the 75, 50 as hospital/quarantine/grow out # 2, and yours would be my Ram breeding tank (second favorite fish). Let me know if that suits.
    Don

Real Name
    Tom

Good move Don and nice give away Jim. I’m just not a fan of glass. To heavy! Good luck with it!