ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Juvenile dark not eating

Registered Member

Default Juvenile dark not eating

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    -A few days ago i noticed one of 8 hanging back not eating straying from group and darker than normal. I thought it may be bullying ie pecking order since this seemed to happen to a different fish the week prior (this one didn't turn dark and also had no physical signs of illness). As soon as she turned around and started acting normal again this other one went dark and stopped eating.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    -Dark with no other bodily signs of illness but when swimming will slightly wobble to either side but quickly right himself.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    -Only treated with aquarium salt 2 tbs per 10 gal. This is the only treatment ever used since acquiring fish 6 weeks ago. NO meds at all yet.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    -29 gal. 8 2.5 inch. Now half are 3in and half are 3.5in

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    -aprox 35% everyday

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    -Since March with bare bottom

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    -Yes for 24 hrs. pH swings from tap 7.8 to aged 8.0

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?
    -Prime added to tank one capful which is slightly more than recommended.

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____86.0

- ph _____ 7.8 to 8.0 (seachem in tank reader) will test with liquid api tomorrow

- ammonia reading ____0 (seachem in tank reader) will test with liquid api reagent tomorrow

- nitrite reading ____0 (not a recent reading) will update tomorrow

- nitrate reading ____5 (also not recent reading) will update tomorrow

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ___city tap _

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    -None

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    -6am beef heart, 11am cobalt discus flake, 3pm FBW, 6pm beef heart again. 10-15 min after every feeding I vacuum after.

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    -trying to figure this part out and will post when i do.

Registered Member

Default Re: Juvenile dark not eating

Maybe she ate too much?

Registered Member

Default Re: Juvenile dark not eating

Yeah it’s possible. I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try some Epsom.