AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi Liz

Real Name
    Fritz

Default Hi Liz

I'd like to ask a couple questions if you don't mind. I value your knowledge. Anyone is more than welcome to offer their input also however.

1) where is a good place to buy shipping boxes? Grainger?

2) I have about 1000 assassin snails. Not small ones either, beautiful giant ones. Id like to sell some, but I don't know how to ship them. How do you ship a snail?

3) I have albino bristlenose that are starting to get to selling size. Ma and Pa are hard at work making more too. Next couple weeks I'd like to sell some. How do you keep them from cooking in the box? Out a freezer pack that's just been in the fridge?

I don't want to ship anything to their doom. I love all my fish and even the silly snails. I want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks
    Fritz
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Re: Hi Liz

When Liz sees this post she will help you, she knows all about shipping fish and even snails!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Tom

Have you asked your local pet store if they’d be interested in them. I tried sending trumpet snail from the island into the city with plants. The plants were fine but all the snails died. It took 2 days for them to get there. So I’m guessing you’d have to send overnight. So the shipping price will go up. Liz and Tom (coralbandit) will have much more info on this.

OK. I've finally gotten up the intestinal fortitude to respond. It's too much pressure on me when someone expects too much of me. I will start with the box and how to insulate it because that, I know.

I use USPS Priority boxes. You can pick them up at your local post office or order them through USPS.com. Either way, they're free. Then you have to cut sheet insulation to reinforce the the integrity of the box as well as obviously adding insulation against extreme heat or cold. The Dow 5/8" 4'X8' insulation is the best because it has a backing that prevents bits from crumbling so there is less mess. I get it at Lowes. It's a big blue sheet. Lately I've been using smaller sheets that don't have a backing because my car is tiny and I don't have to cut those big sheets into 2'X4' strips at Lowes where I buy them. Here are links to the kind I'm using now. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Perma-R-Pro...lation/3014185 It's 5 sheets for the $10.

Next you need to get the right bags. 4" 2 mil bags are what I use for shipping my Rams. You can get them on AB. I double bag them and tie them with zip ties, cutting off the excess Rubber bands are what most folks use but it's too much twisting and turning for my arthritic hands. Some folks just tie the bags in a knot but that looks so amateurish to me. I get my zip ties for $1. for a big bunch at the Dollar Store. Caputre air in the bag before you zip tie them. There should be about 1/3rd water to 2/3rds air. The water is just to keep the fish wet. The air releases O2 into the water which the fish need to live.

I use cellulose insulation to fill any gaps in the box with the bags of fish. News paper works well for that but it doesn't absorb leaks in the bags like the cellulose insulation will. I have never has a leaking bag using the zip ties, though.

I have never shipped my Mystery Snails and I have had many deaths of the ones I have gotten in. My best results have been buying egg clutches and hatching them myself. There is someone I can ask who ships them. She's the one I got my clutches from. I'll ask her and see what she says.

I have never shipped a BN either but I'm going to have to start. I've gotten some long finned albinos in from Brian. They were valuable fish so he shipped USPS Express only. Most folks ship regular Priority which lately has become more reliable. But since there is no money back guarantee with Priority you have to be prepared to refund the buyer's money if the USPS looses the box and it travels the world before it gets to where it is supposed to go. Brian shipped just 1 fish per bag but if the fish is small, soft bodied, and unlikely to puncture a bag I think you could go with 2 fish per bag. I put 2 sub adult Rams together in a 4" bag and they do just fine.

I hope this is somewhat helpful. I'll be making up a box tomorrow and will take pics of the process. That should help you more.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Willie

I purchased mystery snails recently. The buyer used a USPS Priority Box. The snails were wrapped in wet paper towels and stuffed in a styrofoam cup. The cup was wrapped with some bubble wrap and everything worked out fine. In fact, I had three different color mystery snails wrapped separately and stuffed into one cup. It looks rickety, but every snail made it with no harm.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

That sounds like an excellent way to ship them, Willie. The ones I've ordered were shipped several to a bag and they got banged around a lot.
    Mama Bear

First the making of the box. I used a large Priority box. The ID is 12X12X8. OD and ID are written on the bottom of the box. I can fit 8 young adult or sub adult Rams in this size box. First pic is of the tools I use. I forgot to add the sharpie in the pic. The cheap beer might not be necessary for everybody.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

I tape the bottom of the box first. Then, for this size box I cut 2 12X12 pieces for the top and bottom, 2 6X12 pieces for two sides and 2 6X10 1/2" pieces for the other 2 sides. Then I add cellulose insulation to the bottom.
    Mama Bear

The rest
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Francis

Love yr dog grooming room.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    First the making of the box. I used a large Priority box. The ID is 12X12X8. OD and ID are written on the bottom of the box. I can fit 8 young adult or sub adult Rams in this size box. First pic is of the tools I use. I forgot to add the sharpie in the pic. The cheap beer might not be necessary for everybody.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Thank you much, Francis. It used to be a dining room before my back forced me to close my shop. I got all my top quality stuff to fit, though. Thank God I bought an electric table and all my other tools and equipment when I was making money. I love my stand dryer, too. It's close to 40 years old and still going strong. It pays in the long run to buy the best tools and equipment if you can.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Excellent tutorial Liz! You have helped many people with this, thanks for taking the time to do it, with pics too! When I visit you, can you arrange to groom a dog so I can see how you do it?
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Sure thing, Barb.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Fritz

Thank you so much Liz this is so informative. Your help is so appreciated. I'm sorry for the late response but I stay away from the internet on weekend. My wife and I spend much more time together with this policy in place. Now if I could get her to quit Candy Crush..... lol
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Real Name
    Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I purchased mystery snails recently. The buyer used a USPS Priority Box. The snails were wrapped in wet paper towels and stuffed in a styrofoam cup. The cup was wrapped with some bubble wrap and everything worked out fine. In fact, I had three different color mystery snails wrapped separately and stuffed into one cup. It looks rickety, but every snail made it with no harm.
    what a great idea Willie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast