ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: ( First time Posting) Questions regarding moving a Discus Tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Vladimir

Default ( First time Posting) Questions regarding moving a Discus Tank

Hello all! My Name is Vladimir a relatively new discuss keeper. I bought my discuss from Kenny's Discus Back in 2019. The reason I'm creating this thread, is I don't know how to go about relocating my discus tank to another apartment. To get to the apartment is no longer than 5 Mins. After watching a couple videos, I've been left confused. My main concern are the discus, and wanting to keep them well. Little bit about the tank, is I have two filters one hang on and one canister filter. black gravel and one peace of drift wood. My plan is to buy some 5 gallon buckets from home depot to maybe transport the fish. A question I have is When the tank is moved, do I fill up the tank w/all new tap water or should i take some of the old water with me.

Thank you for taking time out of your day and reading my thread any help would be great.

~Vlad

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: ( First time Posting) Questions regarding moving a Discus Tank

No need to use the old water. Add fresh tap water to your tank adjusted for temperature and add dechlor. 5-Gallon buckets are the simplest ways to move discus. I've put discus into 5-gallon tanks and driven them 12 hours to a NADA show for competition with no negative results. You don't need anything else in the tank - no heater, no air. They'll do just fine.

1. Move your discus into 5-gallon buckets with existing water. Important to have lids.
    2. Dismantle your setup, do a thorough job of cleaning out the gravel and tank surfaces
    3. Move the setup, set it up, refill, add dechlor
    4. Put the filters back on the tank
    5. Put the discus back
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Tom

Do you have a big enough second tank. Me I like to set up a tank at the new area. Let it run for a few days. Get it to the right temp. Than the night before the move move one of your filter to the new tank. Day of move bring the other filter with the discus. Than take your time resetting the old tank where you want it and do it again.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Now you have two fairly different and somewhat contradictory answers. Fact is Tom's way is safer (of course you then have to have 2 tanks) but Willie's will work most of the time with no problems. Notice though that in both cases the temperature of the new tank is carefully managed to be the same as the fish you are moving. Be sure to thoroughly rinse out the buckets after bringing them home from Home depot, they may look clean but they have been stacked up and maybe used as a carry basket in a fairly dirty environment. Buy the cheaper tops rather than the much thicker Home Depot ones unless you want to stack them with heavy stuff in them in the future. Also just out of curiosity how big is your tank and how many discus? What is your current water change regimen? Do you age your water currently and if so what is the pH change? The answer to the last question would determine whether I used Tom's or Willie's approach. If you do not have a tank, consider putting the fish in 80% filled buckets, one per fish, they are cheap enough. then quickly move the tank to the new appt., clean it and immediately fill, heavily aerate for about 4 hours (which will address most of the XS dissolved CO2 if your pH routinely rises with aging). Then introduce the fish. Good luck.

Willie's way is just fine.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Willie's way is just fine.
    Thank you all for you kind and thoughtful tips/recommendations , going to move this weekend. I'm going to move the discus into 5 gallons buckets and do the move within an hour. Water parameters will be the same. Thank you all!

~Vlad

Real Name
    Tom

Good luck with your move!