AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus Babies Pecking Sailfin Pleco

Registered Member

Default Discus Babies Pecking Sailfin Pleco

I have just recently introduced eight 7mm to 9mm Discus Babies to a new 50gal tank. The tank has plenty of hiding places consisting of stone bridges and silk plants. The tank also has one small 10mm tetra and two aproximately 20cm Sailfin Plecos; one dark gray and one dark gray with small dull white spots. The babies are voracious feeders on newly hatched brine shrimp and have not expressed much interest in micro granules and finely chopped beef heart flakes. Fussy little buggers!

The reason I'm writing is my concern for the safety of the spotted Pleco. Three or four (not all at the same time) of the babies have taken to pecking the spotted Pleco to the point I would call harassment. He takes it for a while and if the one pecking does not stop he'll speedily swim away. But he is starting to show dull white colored flesh spots due to the pecking. To finish the description, the babies do not seem to bother the all dark gray Pleco.

Need your expert advice, especially since I do not have any other aquariums.

Default Re: Discus Babies Pecking Sailfin Pleco

Take him out. He tastes good to the babies for some reason.
    Mama Bear