AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Odd Worms Situation

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Patrick

Default Odd Worms Situation

I have been fighting a worm outbreak in 2 tanks. #1 is a 10 gal Quarantine tank, and #2 is a 30gal juvenile discus grow out tank (both glass bottom). The short story is that I have been chasing this problem with possibly incorrect med choices, but reading up and changing course as the problem persists. I have treated both tanks with a round of General Cure, water changes and salt but at one point during a tank cleaning/WC I saw tiny writhing, wriggling, swimming worms up to 1/2 and smaller. They are tiny and hard to see but now that I know what to look for can track my progress in removing them. #1 Q tank, I read that Metro/GC recommended dosing is too low, so I doubled it on second 48 hr dose after first 48hrs at standard dosing and am still seeing the swimming worms when I stir up the tank for cleaning. #2 Juvi tank raised temp to 96F and after 24 hr added Subquaria Levamisol HCI .25gm and 1tbs Epsom Salt. At 20 hrs I did a tank cleaning with a gravel vac and still seeing the swimming worms @ 96F and 20hr Levamisole exposure. These guys are tough! see pics and vid.

PH 8.2
    Temp #1 87F #2 96F
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate < 10ppm

#1. 10 gal Q tank has 2 Aqueon 10 filters floss and biomedia only. One 5in Discus, 50% WC every other day.
    #2. 30 gal Juvi growout tank has one Aquaclear 50 and a sponge filter. Nine 2-3.3 in juvis, and two 5in. 75-100% WC every other day.

Microscope is a Pluggable USB 250x magnification

S20210710_0007.jpgS20210709_0002.jpgS20210710_0008.jpgS20210709_0018.jpgS20210709_0001.jpg

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Odd Worms Situation

This may explain what your issue is. https://www.google.com/search?q=very...64XwAw47&tts=0

Real Name
    Tom

I was thinking the same thing detritus worms. They are common in tanks. Some fish eat them like tetras. So if yo add a few tetras they should take care of them.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Patrick

Thanks for the replies, this is helpful! Good to know these likely are not parasitic. I do have some dither fish that can work on getting rid of these.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nadeem

U can eliminate by using potassium treatment.