Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue diamond x reflection deep fry

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Blue diamond x reflection deep fry

Thanks Cliff. I will check it out.
    I kind of knew they threw a mix of fry.
    Cary had a spawn of this exact cross a few months back and I believe he has another batch right now.
    Blue fish, be it Turks, cobalts or diamonds are my favorite color type/ strains, or whatever it’s classified as today.
    I’m very excited to see how the fry turn out. I breed just for fun so I’m ok with genetic mutts. To me the parents are stunning. Nice body shape, color and they are pretty big. I plan to grow out what’s left for future breeders and for my living room display tank.
    Francis, or anyone that has an opinion here, do you feed your discus brine shrimp?
    I feed Hikari bloodworms, jumbo and regular but I never thought about brine shrimp except for newly hatched shrimp for the fry.
    Thanks for your input.
    Respectfully, Matt

Registered Member

Matt, Here's my though to increase the Blue Diamond gene pool, back cross your female offspring Blue Diamond with the parent Blue Diamond male(double dipping).

Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 07-14-2021 at 04:44 PM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    I really like all Wayne Ng’s blues strains ,they shared bloodline of each other.
    Francis, I share you like, some of the best blues around from a top notch breeder.

Cliff

Real Name
    Tom

Yes Matt I feed brime shrimp. But it’s a treat after water changes. I mix hikari bloodworms and brime shrim together and spill them into the tank. Discus eat them up.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Thanks Tom. I may try adding shrimp to their diet as just another food. I have always thought of adult shrimp as having little to no nutritional value, but I know Hikari adds vitamins to their foods so it can only help.. Even if it only helps by cleaning their gut out, it’s a good thing.
    So as I said, these fry went free swimming on June 1st. I pulled the parents on June 22nd. I put them in a new tank then. (They spawned in a 55 and I left the fry in there for growout). I came home tonight to find them spawning in the 29. It took them 3 1/2 weeks to spawn again in a brand new tank, which I’m surprised they went that fast. In the past I’ve had them shut down for a much longer time especially when I’ve moved the parents.
    Hopefully this time they get it right with a large clutch. Last time they were on straight tap around 215 ppm. Now their water is at 58 ppm.
    I dont really have room for many more fry but I’ll sell off a bunch of sub adults if I need to. A big hatch will at least give me a better idea of their genetics and how many different fry types I’ll get and which types I want to keep for future breeders.
    The fact that last spawn was this pairs first spawn and we weren’t even trying to breed them, it’s ashocker we got any fry. Now that I’m trying they will likely eat them 4F122C6E-F727-453C-A448-CE318111A332.jpgor something. Lol
    Have a great night, Matt
    Last edited by matt parsons; 07-14-2021 at 09:56 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Cliff, I’ve spent a few hours looking at many of Wayne’s blue strains. All I can say is “ WOW, I want some”
    His old school cobalts are amazing, not to mention huge. Some of them looked like they were 8” plus
    Thanks for turning me on to his name. It was a real pleasure looking at perfect fish and learning about someone who has mastered his craft.
    Now I know what fish I’ll be looking to get if and when I bring in new stock.
    Does anyone in the states breed or import his fish?
    Thanks again, Matt

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Beautiful pair Matt

Real Name
    Francis

I spoken to Wayne last February and he mentioned there are no importers for his fish in States.

Quote Originally Posted by matt parsons View Post
    Cliff, I’ve spent a few hours looking at many of Wayne’s blue strains. All I can say is “ WOW, I want some”
    His old school cobalts are amazing, not to mention huge. Some of them looked like they were 8” plus
    Thanks for turning me on to his name. It was a real pleasure looking at perfect fish and learning about someone who has mastered his craft.
    Now I know what fish I’ll be looking to get if and when I bring in new stock.
    Does anyone in the states breed or import his fish?
    Thanks again, Matt
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Mervin

I had a Reflection Deep from Wayne Ng that got to be 8". He lived to be an old fella. Still have the old pics.

Real Name
    Francis

Hi Mervin, did you get yr Reflection Deep from Bob Garside @ Upper Canada Discus, wondering Bob still in the discus business.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelagoon View Post
    I had a Reflection Deep from Wayne Ng that got to be 8". He lived to be an old fella. Still have the old pics.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by seanyuki View Post
    Hi Mervin, did you get yr Reflection Deep from Bob Garside @ Upper Canada Discus, wondering Bob still in the discus business.
    Yes, that is were it came from.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Mervin, please share the pics you have.
    The pair have fry on the backs again.
    I’m working out of town, but when I get home I’ll post a few pics.
    The wife told me the fry went free swimming last night and this morning there looked like 25-30 fry that were on the backs.
    Another small batch, but I’m still very happy with that.
    I’m going to have to sell off my grow outs I was hoping to get future breeders from, but it’s so worth it to me to grow out this batch and the previous batch.
    I’m going to break up the pair after this batch is ready to pull, in about three weeks.
    I just don’t have the room any more.
    It’s a good problem I guess. Lol
    Have a great night, Matt

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

5B882802-95B0-4AD3-AB25-3F3C8EF4EFA4.jpg
    Anyone near Green Bay Wisconsin interested please let me know. I’ll let them go cheap.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast