AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two pair.

Registered Member

Default Two pair.

I have two breeding pair of discus that formed in my tank. They are the only four discus in this tank and nothing else. They spawn frequently and at times at the same time. The question is can I get a successful spawn at least to where the fry become free swimming onto the parents. I do have a divider in the tank and they spawn even with the divider in place, so do I have a chance or am I just wasting time hoping it will work. thanks.

Default Re: Two pair.

What kind of divider are you using?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

It is a clear acrylic looking divider I'm not sure the material it was off Amazon advertised as tank divider it looks like a company just had a piece of plexiglass with a bunch of holes drilled in it. But they can see through

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ocellaris View Post
    It is a clear acrylic looking divider I'm not sure the material it was off Amazon advertised as tank divider it looks like a company just had a piece of plexiglass with a bunch of holes drilled in it. But they can see through
    Are the holes small enough so the fry can't swim thru them?

Cliff

Registered Member

No the fry could pass through them. For some reason this pair will not let them get past the wiggler stage. I'm considering putting a barrier up in front of the eggs as well. The good news is if it doesn't work out I'll get the try again in a week. But they have been spawning for a long time now over 30 times

If the fry can swim through the other pair will probably eat the strange (to them) fry unless they have free swimmers at almost the same time.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I can remedy that situation pretty easily they have eating their eggs consistently even though they've spawned over 30 times. Do you think it is because of the stress of having the other pair in the tank. I do have a backup tank outside and seasoned. The tank has green water but parameters are what people would consider excellent. Do you think I could move one of the pairs outside it is actually a screened-in enclosure the temperature is maintained in the low eighties

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Not sure whether the clear divider and stress of another breeding pair visible on the other half of the aquarium is what is causing the problem, but after 30 failures it is definitely time to change things up.

One option would be to use two separate tanks although I have no idea what to make of a "green water" tank with otherwise excellent parameters.

If you are wedded to the single tank, make your own divider. Opaque plexiglass sheets are available, easily trimmed with a table jig saw (using a plexiglass blade) and can be drilled with a small enough diameter bit to keep fry where they belong. Use new sharp bits and spray with water to keep it cool, minimal pressure and use a wood backer as the bit likes to grab. I use my foot to keep the plexi from moving and to keep it firmly on the wood behind it.

Registered Member

Excellent I will give your opaque plexiglass method an attempt assuming this one fails they have not eaten the eggs yet this is day two and a half. So if this one fails I will have a week before they spawn again oh, that should give me plenty of time to prepare. I do have a UV sterilizer coming so the green water will be gone in just a couple of days in my back up tank. I don't really have a desire to set up an additional tank for the other pair at this time. And if I did I am anal about cycling or seasoning the tank and I wait months before I would even be willing to move the fish over. I will let you know how it goes thanks for the advice

Registered Member

There must be a reason why the pairs are eating the wriggles. Are the wriggles active
    after hatching and become sluggish just before free swimming, or are they dropping
    off the substrates? Maybe its genetic? Any
    pictures would help.

Cliff

Registered Member

Sorry I just saw that you replied. Lately they haven't even gotten that far but there is an active spawn right now and I have a plastic barrier up over the eggs so they can't eat them. Lately there hasn't been a large percentage being fertilized. From my observations it looks like the male gets distracted and swims away mid spawn due to the other pair "inadvertently distracting". This time he looked to be more in the "zone" if you will. So we will see how many are fertilized this is going to be day two today. I will try and grab some pictures. Thank you for the reply I will post pictures tonight

Registered Member

Registered Member

Registered Member

Okay so the good news is it looks like the vast majority are fertilized. So waiting game now

I have a pair of Red Scarlet SS that do the exact same thing , guard the eggs then just as they are about to free swim or before eat them, I pulled a small batch and reared them artificially and are all healthy bar a runt, these are Asian fish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast