AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New discus not eating

Registered Member

Question New discus not eating

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forums and I just wanted to ask a question regarding my new discus.

Exactly 6 days ago, I purchased 5 discus: 3 from one store, and 2 from another. I put the 3 in a 35gal and the other 2 in another 35gal. Both stores feed the discus beef heart mix.

I already have a 75gal tank of 7 discus prior to purchasing these new ones, and they all eat beef heart mix I purchase from a different store.

The problem is that these new discus have not eaten at all these past 6 days but they look perfectly fine swimming in their new tank. They just dont eat. I tried giving them both beef heart mix and regular pellet food which my old discus love to eat.

What do you suggest I do so that my newly purchased discus would eat.

I also wish to join all my discus soon in a 200gal.

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: New discus not eating

Bring the temp up to 85F and wait three days. They'll eat.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Do you know what they were eating at the store?

As Willie said, upping the temp will make them hungry. Try a floating food - frozen brine shrimp or bloodworm if sinking pellets and beef heart aren't working.

Variety is the spice of life!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    John

Have you had any joy? I have the same problem. I have 15 x +/-8cm discus in a 500 litre planted tank. Of the 15 there were originally 10 in the tank and I introduced a further 5 about 14 days ago, these fish came from a very reputable seller, all were imported from Malaysia. 13 of the discus, including 3 of the 5 new discus are absolutely perfect, eating like crazy and swimming around the tank without a care in the world. They are fed live Australian black worms, freeze dried Australian black worms, beef heart mix and various pellets. Unfortunately 2 of the fish are not eating at all, they are both swimming around the tank although they are probably the most shy of all the fish. They are certainly not being bullied.

Regrettably I did not ask the seller to feed the fish before purchasing them, I won't make that mistake again. Both are starting to look decidedly thin and I fear the worst. I have treated the tank for worms since introducing them, I have also tried increasing the temperature, I have managed to place live worms right in front of them, nothing will entice them to eat. The seller has suggested that I place the 2 fish in a separate tank and treat the tank with potassium permanganate. Is this a good idea? What else can I do? Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Tom

Jerms hopefully they will come around and start eating. Most new discus take time to start eating. In the future you should put new discus in there own tank for at least a month. This gets them used to your water and let’s them eat without the stress of all the old discus. Plus it lets you see if they are all healthy. Next you should add one of your old discus to the new. But again that’s for the future.

John same thing new fish shouldn’t be adding to old. Also it’s best not to feed fish before shipping. Yes it’s good to have them feed them in front of you if at lfs. Advice by seller is best. Remove those 2 non-eaters and add to a bb qt tank with a temp of 86. This leaves them as the only 2 fish. Much less stress and hopefully they start eating. As to the pp I’d wait for at least a week before doing that. Pics will also help. Also you should open your own thread for this.

Real Name
    Mervin

If you treated for worms, this can also cause lack of appetite.