ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: UV sterilizer capacity Aquarium vs Pond

Real Name
    Harry

Default UV sterilizer capacity Aquarium vs Pond

Hey All,

I am thinking of applying a UV sterilizer to a monster aquarium 1000 gallons for clarification purposes.
    The UV lamp is 13W, and the vendors info says its rated for a 200 gallon aquarium or a 1500 gallon pond.
    Just confused as to why the capacity difference between aquarium and ponds application. I would like to use this on my soon to be aquarium.

Thanks
    Last edited by Fishworks; 08-12-2021 at 05:23 AM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

Default Re: UV sterilizer capacity Aquarium vs Pond

I'm not sure why there would be such a large difference between the two. It seems to me just the opposite would be true, but I don't have much experience with ponds. The size of the unit depends on how it is being used, and the volume of water being pumped through it.

I just put a UV Sterilizer on my 120gal. I used a 18w unit, but a 9 watt would have worked. In an aquarium, since the total water volume is circulated several times an hour, a smaller unit will work. Due to the principle of "reciprocity", several successive exposures to UV is just as effective as one long exposure. Even so, I'm not sure 13watts is enough for a 1000 gal tank.

Robert

Registered Member

Default Re: UV sterilizer capacity Aquarium vs Pond

Hi , I suspect it has to do with temperature and bacterial load. since ponds tend to run a lot cooler bacteria replicate slower , or the algae and it takes less UV energy input to keep things at bay . If you want a sterilising effect do not underestimate the replication speed of bad bacteria at discus temps and the food loading . Of course you need to keep the dissolved organics at bay ,...WC stay important , the UV does appear to help a bit killing of small organisms .

Its my understanding , not the science . May be it is just commercial aspect like so much these days.

Dirk