AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Magnum 350 Replacement

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike Helvey

Default Magnum 350 Replacement

Hi. I've used a magnum 350 for 25 years and loved it for water polishing, and general filtration. I stopped using it about 10 years ago as I got bio-wheels and reduced the load in my 55g tank. Now I'm looking to add something like it to a 75g tank w/built-in drip filter that I'm restarting for Discus. The old Oscar gave up the ghost :-(.

Unfortunately, I've lost--probably tossed--the cover for the magnum 350. I really liked using diatom powder with the micron filter for polishing.

It's been years since I've looked at external canaster filters. Any recommendations for a replacement geared toward poslishing? (Alternatively, if anyone has an old 350 that I can scrounge a top off I can salvage the beast.)

Mike

Default Re: Magnum 350 Replacement

I googled around and this is all I found. https://www.ebay.com/itm/14414748826...kAAOSw5g5hEaiz
    Mama Bear

https://kensfish.com/collections/mar...lishing-filter

I use a third of a cup of Diatom powder with it.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike Helvey

Thanks Tommytuna. how often do you use the magnum polishing filter? Do you use it with any other medium while not polishing? I do like the idea of a submersible unit instead of the remotely located 350.

Real Name
    Willie

I like to use the HOT Magnum. The 10 micron filter can be used to continuously polish water without clogging for at least a week. Get a few spare filters and alternate between filtration and soaking in Clorox to clean up. Going to powder may be overdoing it.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Tom

I too have the magnum. Had the vortex . But haven't used diatoms in years. Haven’t used the magnum in years. Used to be found cheap on eBay. Now when I want to polish the water I use a odyssea 350 and fill it with floss. Works great. Can be found on eBay for around $20 shipped. https://www.ebay.com/p/1148537519

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Gene O'Neill

Google: Pondguru,' How to set up a canister filter'. He has many Youtube videos about canister filters, and brands. Regards, Gene.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike Helvey

Thanks all. I did get the magnum internal polishing filter and am happy with it. If I get my hands on the top of a -350, I'll probably switch back because the internal filter looks kind of big in my 75g tank. :-) Or I may just get used to it! Appreciate the advice.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike Helvey

Does anyone use Diatom Earth with the Magnum polishing filter (intarnal)? I did with the 350. When I follow the instructions on the internal polishing filter I get a bit of the DE in the tank when I submerge it and a bit when I turn it on. I can't imagine it's good for the fish... but it clears up w/in a minute. I've tried it twice and am careful in the transfer from a bucket to the tank. Is this normal?

Mike

Real Name
    Willie

I no longer use diatomaceous earth for polishing. There's no reason why it's necessary. With a good 10 micron paper filter, I can get my water to good clarity.
    At my age, everything is irritating.