ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus different strains in one aquarium

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default Discus different strains in one aquarium

Over the years i have seen people keeping different domestic discus strains in the same aquarium. In my view the discus of same strains say all yellows,all reds,all turquoise,all blue diamond,all whites etc etc look better than keeping an assorted discus strain in a single large aquarium. Any comments..

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Discus different strains in one aquarium

I agree. One strain does look better. Keeping assorted strains tends to be something beginners do because they can't decide which strain they like best so they get one of everything. As time goes by, most people gravitate to a strain they prefer like reds, or blues, albinos, wilds, etc.

Registered Member

Discus of the same strain can look lovely together and those of different strains can look lovely together as they accent colors like a rainbow if you will. I watched some Youtubes of a Vietnamese fella who had a community tank of various strains and it was unbelievably beautiful. I have done it and honestly because of breeding reasons generally preferred one strain. Some strains you can barely tell apart. This isn't a beginner thing at all.

Real Name
    Willie

I like tanks of mostly one strain, with one or two different, but related strain. So a tankful of Blue Diamonds with one Cobalt will make both strains look better.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

True actually related strains could look good like you said do similarly super red melon with yellow faced red could look good and so on. I felt even in African cichlids aquarium strains of all different color isn't the way to go

I was in to Rainbowfish once and started with all different types. Next time the tank needs replacement fish (they are all old) I'll get Millenniums and Neons only. I like the contrast between the two colors. As far as Discus I started out with all different strains 20 years ago. These days they have to be either blue based SS with red spots or another or have a strong blue base and be compatible for breeding to my red spotted blue SSs.
    Mama Bear