ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Ideal height and dimensions fir a discus aquarium

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default Ideal height and dimensions fir a discus aquarium

While most of us have discus aquariums on wooden cabinets or metal what is the best or ideal height for keeping the discus aquarium from ground level to aquarium base.Is it 3 or 4 feet or higher. Also the ideal percentage between the aquarium length with its height and depth. Is it better if discus aquariums are wider than their height or width and height be same or height bigger than width. Any experts comments would be appreciated.

Default Re: Ideal height and dimensions fir a discus aquarium

How high depends on how tall you are. Length is more important for fish over 3". Width is best for fry grow out. Depending on how many fish you have the best all around size for keeping and watching is a 90 gallon. Breeding tanks should be on the upper level. Don't ask me about percentage. I don't do things well that involve numbers.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: Ideal height and dimensions fir a discus aquarium

Discus do much better on the upper shelf. All my discus tanks sit at least waist high, if not higher.

I recently visited an importer to hand pick some wild caught discus. He kept most of them on the lower tank and it was very difficult to pick out a good fish because they're much more skittish on the bottom. I ended up with 2 fish from a top row tank. They would have sold me more fish if the discus were on the upper tier.
    At my age, everything is irritating.