AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Filtration

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Andy

Default Filtration

I am getting ready to set up a tank for discus. I am curious if 2x appropriately sized sponge filters and 2x ziss k1 300 filters driven with an appropriate air pump and a low flow ph for water movement would be sufficient in a 60 or 75 Gallon for 6-8 adult fish depending upon which tank I wind up getting. Tank will be sand bottom with driftwood. My other alternative is 2x comline 3168 filters combined with a small powerhead to agitate the surface. Unfortunately a wet dry/sump system is out of question. I don't care for hobs and strongly dislike canister filters.

Default Re: Filtration

I try to find out more details before giving my personal opinion... but honestly, I'd have to say a hard "no". Those would be fine in BB with solid WC routine but... you might be like me and just really can't convince yourself to do anything else but sand, DW, plants, etc... but if you go that route and don't do but a few WCs a week then I'm going to guess it'll appear fine for a few months... then go south.

I'm trying to improve my own filtration over the years... but I've knowingly cut corners in the past yet see the difference in not only fish size, but health, activity, etc.

I do remember doing my 150 with 2 big HOBs back in the day and honestly, they did awesome. All sorts of love mojo went on in the tank (discus breeding, multiple types of tetras, plecos, shrimp, and plants were out of control with low tech setup & old T5s.

Sounds like sump & canisters are not your thing right now. In that case, don't underestimate good sized HOBs.

And what's "low ph flow"?
    -Elliot

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Andy

Sorry low flow powerhead.

Registered Member

Nope. I wouldn't do that on mine.

Registered Member

This is an interesting situation however, I agree with the comments here.