AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus fish lying on its side after transportation

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Dr.Ganesan

Default Discus fish lying on its side after transportation

I have heard and even seen on one occasion in a pet shop where discus fish had arrived by air packed in Styrofoam boxes and as they were being put into the aquarium most went to the bottom and were lying down on its sides. The shop keeper said some get up in about 4 to 8 hours and begin swimming normally while others could take a day or more. What's the reason for this behavior, what causes this and how this could be minimised. Any comments

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Discus fish lying on its side after transportation

It's not unheard of and can be caused by many reasons. Shipping time, poor packing, poor preparation, ammonia or ph levels in the transition from the bag to the tanks... Properly packed discus that do not experience a delay in shipping time rarely display this behavior...

Registered Member

Shipping is stressful, LFS mostly get their fish from the wholesalers these fish might come from another wholesaler they will repackaged before being shipped out again, some of the bags may have only an inch of water, in the past I received adults Discus lying flat on their sides. As mention they usually stay flat on their sides for 4 to 8 hours but not all some will die, I usually turn up the air stone which helps them get upright.

Cliff

It would seem that salt would help as well. I've always bought from sponsors so I've never had this problem with the fish shipped to me.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

I saw a video or a seller receiving 500 discus for resale. He explained it as pressure in tank. And when this happened to some of the new discus he lowered the tank water to half. Some came right up with this. The others were up before the video was over.

Yea, I remember. It's called osmoregulation. Salt helps with that too, but not as much as lowering the water level to half. That's an interesting question, Dr.Ganesan
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

A lot of causes actually. However, I would follow instructions above to add salt and lower the water levels.

Real Name
    Mervin

You can see from this video how Wattley Discus deals with discus. As you can see they have quite a few on there sides when they arrive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d93c...kWattleyDiscus
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 08-30-2021 at 10:15 AM.