AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Afghanistan

Default Re: Afghanistan

Sorry everyone -- I'm usually more careful about posting sensitive issues. I've just been a little torn up about it and (believe it or not) this is the ONLY forum I use for anything ... that combined with wine & fireball one evening (surprise surprise) ended up with me starting this thread. I LOVE this forum due to how good our current moderators have done on balancing #1 everyone's opinion and #2 deciding when to having resort to censorship (which they rarely turn to now and do their best to literally moderate... unrealized MVPs in my book).

Those who've posted... good to hear your thoughts. I may not agree with all shared (a few points in particular), but I'll become unknowingly ignorant if I don't openly hear opinions & thoughts of others (period... meaning, "just listen and see others thoughts"). In the past I've personally berated (in-person... some only 2 inches away) the ever living crap out of some unfortunate few who never saw firsthand what we were doing in different conflicts. It probably made them more defensive of their stances than anything else. But ultimately it's the Government's responsibility to educate the entire country on #1 mission (with concrete definition of success) while #2 being honest on realistic effort (especially TIME... we all knew unimaginable money, devastating deaths/wounded/mental damages, etc.... but TIME it'd take was a "fail" re: educating our country).

End state: We have our good, our bad, and our ugly as a country... but after experiencing about 25+ countries in my life, I can't find the words to describe how amazing the U.S. is ----- but our recent pullout does NOT align with the "not perfect but we're freak'n trying" character of our country. (especially the way we did it... that's the only thing I'll specifically pin to Biden... and I VOTED for him... but I also voted for Trump the last time... we were all screwed once we had an election where Hillary & Trump were our only choices by the way. I just want a damn leader who's competent, at times slips and accidentally reveals that they wear their emotions on their sleeve, and can make a decision then execute ferociously while admitting wrong doing only on themselves should their decision be wrong. That's a leader).

Please, if anyone wants to discuss further... don't hesitate to PM at all. I'm also fine if moderators feel better about closing this thread due to the sensitivity. ...and Don... 30 years!?!? Would love to hear if you ever wanted to share with me.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by dspeers View Post
    On reflection I am a little more annoyed than I originally realized. The laudable purpose of this particular thread is to reach out to veterans who may be struggling with recent US actions in Afghanistan given the number of both Americans and allies remaining in that country. I find your willingness to conflate that with an opportunity to point out your perceived deficiencies of certain Christian organizations and the state of TX deplorable. Given the issues of abandonment and the subjugation/murder of members of the Afghan civilian population I suggest you focus your attention on Canada's actions or lack thereof regarding Canadian citizens currently detained in Syria or ongoing violence in your Country toward indigenous females. Yes I am a Texan, we are frankly not interested in your opinion. Yes I am a veteran of 30 years and deployment to that region and yes I do feel betrayed by certain recent actions and yes when anyone, American or other decides to compare American shortcomings to fundamentalist Islamic Terrorist atrocities I get angry. Rethink your comments.
    I don't need to rethink anything. This brings out your true colors. By the way thanks Don for your service to your country and it's allies. Much appreciated. Canada is boring. The drama is much more interesting to watch on CNN, rather than CBC. I would also agree with you about indigenous peoples; our old colonial Catholic ways destroyed these peoples by trying to beat the "Indian" out of them. This happened in both our countries and here in Canada right now many folks come to realize what our country was founded on.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

"I don't need to rethink anything" Wow, not sure I have lived a single day where I would have been willing to say that to myself or anyone else. Maybe in my 20s, when I was young and dumb. "This brings out your true colors" Mervin, I have no idea what you are trying to convey. Do you really think you know me on the basis of a couple of paragraphs? Is this a troll attempt? My point to you was that you might want to rethink why you wanted to bring up "Christian" right wing domestic terrorists or actions of, in your opinion, foolish Texan politicians in this particular forum. Finally, if CNN exclusively or even primarily informs your opinions of what happens to your south I suggest you broaden your horizons. Their track record over the last several years has been abysmal.

Elliot I am nothing more than an old retired guy. Truth be known my time in the sandbox was in IRAQ. For ~ 9 years till retirement I was in charge of the medical unit at one of the 2 largest Soldier Readiness Centers. We evaluated and prepped over 10K soldiers annually to deploy and then dealt with everything broken on their return. My involvement in the Afghan conflict was not in theater but I was very involved as the Senior Medical Officer as well as medical element Commander. I am doing well and appreciate your offering to assist struggling veterans. I also agree that the degree of incompetence in the withdrawal process is stunning. I would expect better out of a green 2LT straight out of West Point. Also once it became clear this was an unmitigated disaster, the unwillingness to admit error and modify the process to ensure/maximize success is even more disappointing. I cannot believe that the administration continues to tout the numbers moved. The numerator is meaningless, the mission is exclusively defined by who is or is not left on the ground in theater. Reminds me of the daily body counts from the Viet Nam conflict suggesting we were winning.

Not sure how much my comments have prompted the moderators to consider closing this, if so sorry. FWIW this is my last contribution to this thread so please eliminate any potential future comments from me in that decision matrix. Best if I am out.

Registered Member

I just read the recently released best seller.
    Afghanistan Papers.

If you really want to learn about this War then read it. The headlines are all deflections from the truth

Real Name
    Mervin

Did someone delete my post from yesterday?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

No Mervin. I placed a couple of the posts in the moderation queue. I have restored the posts but will close the thread. Please take any further discussion to PM.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12