AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Canister size v flow rate

Registered Member

Default Canister size v flow rate

I see alot of people recommending the Fx6 canister filter for tanks in the 125g range.
    The recommendation usually follows with a warning to turn the flow rate down as discus don't want a high flow.

I am ignorant, but this seems somewhat contradictory to me. Why go so big if you're not going to use the entire motor? Is there something about filter volume that I'm missing? I appreciate any insights.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Canister size v flow rate

I run mine at full. It’s over 2 yrs old. Yes I’ve read these things too. Also read many running 2 fx6s on 125s. For me I’m not to happy with the fx6. It moves around 700gph. But it’s pulling the water through the filter and pushing it back into the tank. It’s a lot of wear on the motor. Mine had reduced flow since bought. I clean it every 2 months. On my other 125 I run a wet/dry filter that is moving 800gph. This motor is just pushing water back into the tank. The water flows naturally through the overflow and into the wet/dry. Not as much wear on the motor. The motor is also a dc motor so it’s quieter and runs cheaper.

Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. More than one way to gut a fish!

Real Name
    Mervin

Leave it on full flow. The more oxygenated water going through the media the better.