ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: I'm getting it all together

Registered Member

Default I'm getting it all together

Hello, I'm going to be posting pictures of my first tank here soon. I've gotten a 240 gallon glass tank that is new. I'm shooting for about 10 discus in it with lots of dithers. And barebottom with fake plants for the dithers to frolic in. Yes, water changes are going to be a B.

What is the best way to prepare huge pieces of driftwood? my new tank is 80 inches long and I have some driftwood pine tree roots that are gnarly and about 70 inches long, too big to boil. I hear soap is completely out of the question (duh), I've heard hydrogen peroxide, i've heard weak weak bleach water. I'M SO CONFUSED!

Any driftwood advice is appreciated.

I WANT TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR WOOD.

Carol.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: I'm getting it all together

Hello Carol.
    I would not use any pine wood in a aquarium. The sap and other tannins are not going to be any good for your fish.
    Stick to manzanita wood or a few other hard woods I hear are ok for aquarium use. I have only used manzanita so I’m not sure on any others.
    Pine is bad! I would also think it would not ever sink but that’s an educated guess.
    Maybe others have used it and gotten away with it but again, I would strongly advise against it.
    What a great tank to be setting up. Please post pictures as you go.
    Respectfully, Matt

Real Name
    Mervin

Agree, pine is soft wood and has terpenes and are not as good as hard woods for fish tanks. I have grape vine root and it's gnarly and has hiding places for plecos.

Real Name
    Mervin

You really don't need to disinfect the drift wood unless it's coming from a fresh water source. I just hose mine off in the shower with hot water. Sometimes leave it there in the tub in hot water to absorb water quicker.

Registered Member

that is too bad about pine. thank you very much though.