ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: sanitizing equipment

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike Helvey

Default sanitizing equipment

Hi. I'm sure this has been covered, but for the life of me I can't find anything other then hints about potassium permagante. I would like to have a container to do a dip sanitizing in, for things that go in my tank (i.e., 2' tweezers, a stick I use to move stuff (It also holds the lid up), net, syphon, hoses...

Is PP the recommended sanitation, and can I keep it in a bucket and use to dip equipment in? Are there other recommendations? Am I over cautious?

I have a 75g I'm setting up for Discus w/15 neon/cardinals; 2 rainbow sharks; 2 silver dollars; and 2 potted plants. Currently has 1/4" gravel, but that's coming out this weekend. Going to do bare bottom for a while. I also have a 30g with a large pleco and yellow cichlid. I'm concerned for cross-contamination.

Thanks!
    Mike

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: sanitizing equipment

I've tried many things for sterilization of nets, syphons and hoses. At this point, I rely on having everything dry as a form of sterilization. There really are no good way to do it. So far, that's worked fine in my fish room. The key is to keep pathogens out by quarantine your discus for a minimum of six weeks. So, do you have a quarantine tank?
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike Helvey

Willie -- Not yet. I don't understand if a quarantine tank is always set up and cycled, or if you set it up when needed for quarantining with a seeded filter?

I don't have room in my main space, but have plenty of room in other areas (office, basement rec room, or workshop).

Mike

Registered Member

If you are concerned about cross-contamination, why not have a dedicated net for each tank?

Real Name
    Brendan

For day to day things, I usually just rinse under the tap and put it outside to dry. If someone is sick or I’m quarantining, I’ll usually rinse and wipe everything with alcohol .
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

I have separate siphons, nets and brushes for each tank, don't have to worry about any CC.

Cliff