AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: for those having trouble finding beefheart

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Andy

Default for those having trouble finding beefheart

This may be old news but as of 2017 they are allowing beefheart to be used in groundbeef. I know some members already use ground beef but thought this might bring solace to those who cant find beefheart and are considering ground beef.

Registered Member

Default Re: for those having trouble finding beefheart

I’m lucky. A local butcher uses to text me via WhatsApp “I have new fresh beef heart. Delivery?”
    57DD27D1-8834-4408-8A61-0884E81EA434.jpg

I wonder how they do ground beef from heart. Do you really think they trim and remove all fat?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Andy

Good question, maybe in the 93/7 that discus owners would use but I doubt it in the fatties beef.

A bit off topic but years ago I raised a big spawn of Blue Diamonds from free swimming to 2 year old adults feeding fat free turkey breast. Nothing added.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Francis

I also use ground chicken breasts instead of animal hearts, their protein values are about the same."…….protein content in 100 grams raw chicken ground is 17:44 g. and protein content in 100 gram raw beef heart is 17.7 g.………safe a lot of time trimming those fats and muscles from the beefheart.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Prepping Beef Heart is very time consuming. That's for sure. I love prep when I cook a dish but I hope I never have to lay my eyes on a beef heart again.

Now, my neighbor hunts and it will soon be deer season. I'm going to ask him that if he gets one to give me the heart. Making deer heart once will tell me if it's worth doing again.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Willie

Chicken works fine, but you really have to careful on prep. Chicken has so much bacteria on it - some of it dangerous to people - that wiping the entire area down with Clorox is strongly recommended. I've done turkey also. It's so lean that the ground meat had the consistency of concrete. I had to mix in shrimp and spinach so it's not so hard. Fortunately, those days are over.

I now go to a local butcher shop that carries beef heart. They'll clean the heart to my specifications, grind and pack them for me. I pay for the hearts and take whatever is left after cleaning. It costs about 3X the price of heart, but that's still very cheap.
    At my age, everything is irritating.