ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: 9-11

Default 9-11

It's been 20 years. It's a sad day to remember. The whole world was watching and horrified. It was a time of coming together as one country.
    Mama Bear

Default Re: 9-11

I remember as if it were yesterday... Beautiful morning. Back in college 3 weeks after graduating from Parris Island. Many friends had family & friends working in and around towers. Then seeing Pentagon hit made it more unreal. Torn up more after hearing flight that went down in PA while a group of stranger patrons, yet fellow Americans, stormed the cabin. Sad that such evil still exists, ... very sad seeing falling man & all other victims... and strange sadness combined with heart warming stories of EMS, patrons storming cockpit, and strangers putting lives on the line for other strangers. FDR said, "December 7th, 1941 -- a day that will live in infamy --...," yet many alive didn't know that feeling anymore due to 60 years gone by... I wish we didn't have to find out for ourselves. Let's just remember this: Our news and media outlets get more viewers when showing negativity... but on that day, you cannot deny an American pride that shines through under such horrendous circumstances. It's still there... we still need to stomp out racism, I feel our parties have never been further apart as they are now during my lifetime, and we need to amp up shear "playing it forward" more so now than ever... but it's still there.
    Last edited by pastry; 09-11-2021 at 09:32 PM.
    -Elliot

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I too remember that day like yesterday. I was still working at Lockheed Martin and there were monitors in the building to show announcements etc and the twin towers burning etc was being shown on the monitors throughout the morning. I remember the sense of horror and disbelieve. Then there was the Pentagon and Flight 93. Then there were all the stories of first responders doing what they do best, trying to save people. The passengers of Flight 93 rushing the cockpit to bring down the plane and so many other Americans trying to save others. I do believe in my hearts of hearts that Americans are still like the Americans of 9/11..willing to put their lives on the line to save others ie putting the needs of others above their own needs.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Mervin

I was having morning coffee and watching the morning news and know exactly where I was that day. A day I'll never forget. 7,000 people landed here in Halifax from the airways being closed; plus in Gander Newfoundland. Friends were made for ever during their stay. We were all shocked.

Registered Member

I was seeing patients in clinic when I looked over at the TV set. My first response was how the hell can someone fly into the World Trade Center. But after the second hit - we all new.
    Took the family to the site and St. Patricks this weekend. Very moving.

And no, I do not believe that Americans would respond the same way today.
    Remember, move people died from covid this past friday than all the lives lost on 9/11

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

Six members & 6 german shepherds from our club were coming back from germany that morning. We landed in Halifax & the people there were the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!! They realley tried to help us the best they could. Made it back sat. after going back to germany on thursday.