Dennis Discus     AquaticSuppliers.com

Thread: Parents slowly killing fry

Registered Member
    iTrader

Default Parents slowly killing fry

Hi everybody.

I have a pair of awesome parents who were able to rise their fry for about 5 days in the community tank until other fish (at least the cardinals, as I witnessed) ate them all.

This time I divided the tank with a piece of glass and blocked view of the other fish with a black plastic film. Fry attached immediately, parents were really protective, babies were growing fast (about 30 fry, feasting on slime 24/7). By day 9 free swimming I introduced BBS, and the fry started to pick the BBS without wandering too far from the parents. All of them except for one, who ventured a bit too far and was attacked by the female. I thought she was trying to get him back with its siblings, as she picked the fry in her mouth and spit it several times. This kept going on for too long, and once the fry was clearly in distress, the male started to do the same, until the fry was dead. One or two days later I saw the parents doing the same , and again today, at day 12 of free swimming. Then I realized that there were about 8 fry missing. I quickly removed the 22 remaining fry which are in their own tank now. I popped one small BH piece but they ignored them completely, so I will try again tomorrow, feeding them BBS for the time being.

I have ready multiple accounts of parents suddenly eating all their fry with no apparent reason, but this seemed to be different. They were more into killing the fry, and only one of them every now and then. Is this a common occurrence?

And one additional question: is there any trick to get fry into BH or it is just a matter of insisting until they are mature enough to go after it?

iTrader
    12 (100%)

Default Re: Parents slowly killing fry

I wouldn't say it's common, but it happens. Fill the little babies up with BBS. They'll start picking at the BH when they're ready. There are also powered fry foods that tempt fry more than shaved BH and gets them to trying different foods.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    iTrader

Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    There are also powered fry foods that tempt fry more than shaved BH and gets them to trying different foods.
    Yeah, I got BHT's baby protein. Will start offering it too.

This is a pic of the babies. Lots of peppering (Red Map PB x Cobalt - I know, I know... Most likely I will break up the pair and introduce a red-ish melon female to the Red Map sire). They seem to be growing fast though (1/4 inch at 12 days free swimming), although I have not much to compare to...
    image_2021-09-15_160818.jpg

Registered Member
    iTrader
    2 (100%)

You can remove the fry earlier before the parents start killing as early as a few days. As for feeding bbs can be added to the beefheart.

Cliff