ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Phosphate Resin or UV for green water

Real Name
    Harry

Default Phosphate Resin or UV for green water

Hi All,

I am planning to start a 180 gallon discus tank with 8 fish ( 6ft x 2ft x 2ft). I do plan on getting them young at about 3".
    It will have a sump approx. 65% of tank volume.

My problem is, I have high phosphates and silicates from my tap. At high lighting to show off fish coloration, I will always get green water. At low lighting, always brown algae.

My thoughts on solutions are:

1. Get some alumina oxide resin, like Seachem Phosguard or API Phos-zorb. Although I think this wont last long with high phosphates absorbed from frequent water changes and rich fish waste.

or

2. Just get an external UV filter pump, however, I have to install it at the back of the tank so I doesnt bother my discus so much. Therefore, they will be hanging out middle to front of tank.

What solution do you think works best? and Why?
    Perhaps, you have another solution, please share?

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Phosphate Resin or UV for green water

You can always put a light and water sprite in your sump. It soaks up nutrients and grows fast.

Registered Member

UV light hands down

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Also, why the UV on back, why not down with the sump? Also if you want to add plants to the sump water, hyacinth is a fast fast grower that selectively absorbs a high amount of PO4 and is easily removed. If that fails then Granular Ferric Oxide will adsorb PO4 and can be regenerated with NaOH. BRS has a video about this product.

Real Name
    Tom

I use a Uv steralizer in all my tanks but do not have phosphate in my tap water. Would an algae scrubber work? They seem easy to make (diy) and once set up eat phosphate. Can also be either in the tank or the sump.

Something else I’ll suggest is since your starting with 3” discus start them in a smaller tank. Something like 50g. This way you can change 50+% water daily without wasting water. I did this with 8 from Hans bare bottom 50g for around 5 months till they were at the 4-5” size. Than added to a 125 which I change 50% 2-3 times a week.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Hyacinth (strawberries work too) smell better