ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Color difference same offspring

Real Name
    Steve

Default Color difference same offspring

I've been raising offspring from a Raffesia and Blue Diamond (I now know not recommended, but they really wanted to spawn.) 6 months in, after giving 30 away to the LFS I have 10 still in the bare bottom breeding tank and another 10 in a planted community tank. They get feed the same food, mostly a beef heart mix, and have essentially the same lighting but they are displaying very different colorization. The ones in the community tank are darkly peppered while the others are very lightly peppered and are showing more blue. All 10 in each tank have the same coloring. Is this common?

The first 20 I gave to the LFS still had no color at 5 months, while the ones I kept were showing a lot of red. The LFS had not been feeding them beef heart, which he now is after seeing the difference.

breeding kids 6mo 1.jpgbreeding kids 6mo 2.jpg
    Steve
    Blue Hill, Maine

Default Re: Color difference same offspring

Peppering in Discus serves the same purpose as bars. Fish use them to blend into the background. In a light colored environment they stay less peppered and in an environment with plants they pepper more.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

Thank, didn't think the difference would be that pronounced as they look like different strains. I'll try swapping a few between tanks and see how long it takes them to change colors.
    Steve
    Blue Hill, Maine

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Hello Steve.
    Yes this is very common with two very different backgrounds, especially going from very light colors to black. It is amazing how fast they change. Just remember the peppering is a stress bar equivalent so when pigeon bloods get stressed the pepper right up no matter what background color you have.
    I do like certain strains on black backgrounds though. It all depends on the fish.
    Nice job on raising the fry.
    Respectfully,Matt