ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 discus with clear eye lens but white dots underneath?

Default Re: 2 discus with clear eye lens but white dots underneath?

Quote Originally Posted by dspeers View Post
    Just so we are clear, the outermost clear layer of the eye is the cornea in front of the anterior chamber, then next at the back of the anterior chamber is the round colored muscle called an iris that opens and closes depending on how bright the light is. The pupil is actually the central hole in the iris, it is not an actual structure. Just behind the pupil is the lens which should be clear. Initially I thought you might be describing post inflammatory cataracts due to the pop eye which you successfully treated. These might or might not clear over months. Your picture shows a spherical milky white homogeneous structure probably cystic protruding centrally from the pupillary aperture into the anterior chamber without apparent corneal impingement with a diameter approx. equal to the pupil. (we go to medical school just so we can use big words, but don't tell anyone). What I would do at present is a telemedicine visit with a vet, several available per google. Hopefully some of the guru's have feedback on who is best. Absent that I would try high dose salt. This looks post infectious, not actively infected. What's weird, if post infectious, is that it affected two fish. Does it involve both eyes of the affected fish?

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    Thanks for your reply, one fish has it in only one eye and the other has one eye with that big white dot and the opposite eye is just a very tiny dot...both fish eat well...but lost their vibrant color from being in the hospital tank for so long...I'm just trying to resolve this before placing them back in the main tank..
    I love my Discus

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdave View Post
    hi and thanks for your reply...how is a ph spike possible? my water straight out the tap is soft and 6.7 ph....the hospital tank is bare bottom and only 2 sponge filters, that's it...
    I use straight tap too and the city water department would decide to clean the pipes thats when they raise the ph from 7 to 9 to 10. The LFS knows this, they would tell me to use a buffer. You might have a possible alkaline burn on the eye. Are the white spot translucent or solid?I

Cliff

White spots are solid...
    I love my Discus

But the eye lens are clear on both fish
    I love my Discus

But the eye lens are clear on both fish, I posted a picture and a close up of the white dot...it looks like white pearls..
    I love my Discus

QUESTION,
    will these 2 discus be able to survive with their eyes as they are in the main display tank? also will they be able to compete with the other healthy discus for food??
    I love my Discus

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by dspeers View Post
    Just so we are clear, the outermost clear layer of the eye is the cornea in front of the anterior chamber, then next at the back of the anterior chamber is the round colored muscle called an iris that opens and closes depending on how bright the light is. The pupil is actually the central hole in the iris, it is not an actual structure. Just behind the pupil is the lens which should be clear. Initially I thought you might be describing post inflammatory cataracts due to the pop eye which you successfully treated. These might or might not clear over months. Your picture shows a spherical milky white homogeneous structure probably cystic protruding centrally from the pupillary aperture into the anterior chamber without apparent corneal impingement with a diameter approx. equal to the pupil. (we go to medical school just so we can use big words, but don't tell anyone). What I would do at present is a telemedicine visit with a vet, several available per google. Hopefully some of the guru's have feedback on who is best. Absent that I would try high dose salt. This looks post infectious, not actively infected. What's weird, if post infectious, is that it affected two fish. Does it involve both eyes of the affected fish?

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    Hi Don, I guess I'm the resident vet on the forum, albeit not a fish vet. Sorry I'm just now seeing this thread.
    I think you are on the right track. Hard to know what's going on there without seeing the fish in person but I'll give it a shot.
    I think you are right that what we are seeing is post pop eye infections that have been resolved. Now we are seeing the damage the infection caused. From the picture it appears the cornea is ruptured and what is protruding is a luxated, cataracted lens. It could also be a descemetocele (how's that for a big word) but I don't know if fish can get them or not. Either way, there is probably no treatment at this point that will change anything. If it were a dog or cat, we would be treating with eye drops. We can't do that with fish. More than likely, the fish will be blind in the affected eyes.
    Last edited by smsimcik; 10-08-2021 at 05:57 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdave View Post
    QUESTION,
    will these 2 discus be able to survive with their eyes as they are in the main display tank? also will they be able to compete with the other healthy discus for food??
    Yes they can survive as long as they can see out of at least one eye. I've seen one-eyed discus and angelfish do just fine.

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Steve, thanks much. The ophthalmologists could always dazzle the rest of us with some of the most obscure jargon. Did not realize that the Cornea ruptured but that does explain the extrusion through the pupil and as well the fact that there was no notable corneal clouding despite the anterior chamber mass. Or, to appeal to my redneck sensibilities, "caint cloud what aint there". Hopefully they have sufficient residual vision to successfully feed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12