ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 discus with clear eye lens but white dots underneath?

Default 2 discus with clear eye lens but white dots underneath?

hi to all...I have a situation with 2 beautiful discus, 1 Coerulea discus and 1 Leopard snakeskin discus. Both from wattley discus, Their eye lens were very cloudy and I treated that with API melafix. the eye lens has cleared but they still have white dots on their iris underneath their eye lens. if I'm calling that correctly?.. I have them both in a hospital tank and their finally eating very well..i just can not get that white dot to clear up...i do everyday water change of 25% and i have 2 sponge filters in the tank...i have done salt for a several weeks but stopped because the fish looked very healthy and eating and i didn't want to over do it. tank temp i have at 90 degrees and that definitely got them eating..i am totally open for suggestions as to how to treat those white dots. they have been in that hospital tank for 3 to 4 months..im out of ideas...i have treated other discus with eye cloud several times with no problems...i have a 150 gal extra high with a 40 gal sump that has a constant 30 to 35 gallons of water at all times...so a 180 gallon system.. the food in the picture i just fed them and they ate it all. so there's no uneaten food sitting in the bare bottom tank...HELP my discus PLEASE...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I love my Discus

Default Re: 2 discus with clear eye lens but white dots underneath?

anyone with experience in difficult to get rid of discus eye cloud willing to help me????
    I love my Discus

I have been around for a good while but I've never run into anything like this. I wouldn't medicate. I don't think it's anything that can be treated, but then again, this is just a guess.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

Two things come to my mind, but just guessing. One is eye fluke and the other is gas bubble disease, which is unlikely with a 25%WC, usually not big enough to cause a lot of micro bubbles.

Thank you for your replies, I have been in the hobby 40+ years and never seen anything like this with any of my fish...
    I love my Discus

Real Name
    Brian

It's difficult to see clearly. What's your ph?

Ph in the hospital tank is 6.6 and I have 2 sponge filters and daily water changes...no ammonia, no nitrite and no nitrates..water is crystal clear..
    I love my Discus

I will try to post better pictures of their eyes...
    I love my Discus

Registered Member

Both Discus sounds like a water parameter spike in the ph.

Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Both Discus sounds like a water parameter spike in the ph.

Cliff
    hi and thanks for your reply...how is a ph spike possible? my water straight out the tap is soft and 6.7 ph....the hospital tank is bare bottom and only 2 sponge filters, that's it...
    I love my Discus

I'm about to upload new pictures i just took of the discus eyes...looks like white pearls in their pupils
    I love my Discus

I love my Discus

this is the best picture i can take...both discus have the same white dot...one discus has it in just 1 eye and the other has it in both eye but one side is very tiny..
    I love my Discus

it all started with cloudy eye lens then that cloudy eye lens cleared and the white dots developed...as of now their eye lens are crystal clear, but pupils have white dots...is it ok to place the 2 discus back in main tank? hopefully their eyes clear up in time...or should they remain in the hospital tank??
    I love my Discus

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Don Speers

Just so we are clear, the outermost clear layer of the eye is the cornea in front of the anterior chamber, then next at the back of the anterior chamber is the round colored muscle called an iris that opens and closes depending on how bright the light is. The pupil is actually the central hole in the iris, it is not an actual structure. Just behind the pupil is the lens which should be clear. Initially I thought you might be describing post inflammatory cataracts due to the pop eye which you successfully treated. These might or might not clear over months. Your picture shows a spherical milky white homogeneous structure probably cystic protruding centrally from the pupillary aperture into the anterior chamber without apparent corneal impingement with a diameter approx. equal to the pupil. (we go to medical school just so we can use big words, but don't tell anyone). What I would do at present is a telemedicine visit with a vet, several available per google. Hopefully some of the guru's have feedback on who is best. Absent that I would try high dose salt. This looks post infectious, not actively infected. What's weird, if post infectious, is that it affected two fish. Does it involve both eyes of the affected fish?

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast