ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Fry getting sick. Help!

Registered Member
    iTrader

Default Fry getting sick. Help!

Three of my 18-day, dime-size fry (out of 21) have clamped tails. They are in a 10 gal bare bottom tank since one week ago. I clean the bottom twice a day and perform 50-60% daily water changes. Feeding brine shrimp, beef heart paste and powder. Water is hard and pH is about 8.2, and they have been there

The pic below is the one in which it is most obvious. The dorsal/anal fins appear clamped in the pic but that is because he was actively swimming when I shoot it. The three fish remain very active and eating well, but their swimming is weird, I assume from not fully functional tail. I would much appreciate any diagnose/advise.

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-22 at 15.36.54.jpg

Registered Member
    iTrader
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Fry getting sick. Help!

Try cleaning the sponge filter, it might be clogged up with brine shrimp or all together remove the sponge filter and have just an air line. Sooner or later the fry have to be move to an larger tank.

C!iff

Registered Member
    iTrader

Thanks for the reply Cliff, I really appreciate it. When I got home yesterday night armed with Jungleīs Fungus Clear Tank Buddies Fizz Tabs I was unable to identify two of the three sick fish. The one in the picture looked better but not fully recovered yet. He is still recovering as now. I will take no measures for the time being, but will keep a closer eye on them (if thatīs even possible...).

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    Sooner or later the fry have to be move to an larger tank.
    I am aware of it. Actually, the tank in which I have them now is a 20 gallon tank, but only half filled. I plan to raise the water level as needed.

Registered Member
    iTrader

Fish fully recovered as today. No medication nor sponge filter removal needed.