Pompas Discus     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: A Lazy Man's Guide to Discus

Registered Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Jim

Default Re: A Lazy Man's Guide to Discus

To me the problem with knowing how much water to change is there's no accurate way to prove/disprove theories as they can't be seen or measured. Nitrates is the only parameter that that's used and opinions vary widely on what's acceptable. Another issue for me is why would a discus biological makeup/requirement be any different from other fish from the region? Why are water change schedules different for discus than cardinals? Most of the 'science' for discus keeping seems based on 'this worked for me' logic. Can anyone explain how Hans Discus can grow giant/beautiful discus if they grow their discus with super high nitrates as reported by d'bunk? Admit i don't know the answers.

iTrader
    Real Name
    Tom

For me my results have been much better with the more frequent water changes. When small 3”or smaller I did daily 4”every other day and now at mostly 5.5-6” twice weekly at 50%. When I kept them in the 80s it was once a week which than to an average fish keeper was a lot of water changes. Than being all store bought results were not that good. Now since 19 I’ve lost only 3 discus. One a runt one I fed beef heart and it died and one I believe a result of an earlier cross contamination. So the new water is working for me . As to why I’m no scientist. To me it’s because these fish are so far from wild and are being raised in the cleanest conditions that you can have to keep the water clean. As to Stendker saying they raise there’s in high nitrates! That’s a different thing. I’ve never bought into the nitrate game. I’m a firm believer that its just to sell product. I rarely ever test my water. With the water changes I do there’s no reason to check. But Even Hans has said he recommends more water changes for smaller discus. Again to me we’re keeping fish! Fish need water! So give them clean water. I’ve never had a problem from clean water! Best results for any fish is changing water weekly. There’s always those who don’t want to change water. There are two kinds that do this. There are the lazy who just don’t want to and the more experienced that have figured out how too. Unfortunately way to many fall into the middle and their tanks are listed on market place .

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

Guys, remember that when new members join the forum we suggest guidelines like 1 fish per 10 etc, keep the nitrates low etc etc. We are trying to setup new hobbyists for success. After a while people do figure out what works for them or they don't and leave the hobby. When new hobbyist read a threads like this it gives them permission to not put in the effort to be successful. But I hope them do more research and learn. What makes this thread successful is low density in a large tank. Even D'bunk saw the fish are not acting right and took action. I am a advocate of watching the fish and they will teach you.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

iTrader
    Real Name
    Mervin

Sometimes it takes a year or two to notice the effects of dirty water. When you see discus that have had lots of clean water and put them along side those that haven't, that's when you can see a big difference in the appearance of discus development/shape. You can see that from the pics posted on this forum. It's only reasonable that if you raised something in a healthier environment that it should be healthier. Since joining this forum, I've been doing large frequent WC's on all my species and I don't have the issues I had when I changed 25% like most of the older books and literature say. Lots of fresh water does work better; that I think is the most important thing that I got from this forum. I have been keeping fish for over 50 years and have enough experience to say fresh water is a good thing. Only makes since the larger the tank and fewer the shock, the less water that has to be changed. That's why we have nitrate as an indicator; when that rises so do the nasty's. Just saying> think of it as peeping and pooping in your swimming pool all the time; if you only changed 25% would you stay healthy?

Registered Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Jim

I definitely fall into the lazy category. I intend to do more water changes but something always distracts me [usually wife's nagging]. I only have one discus but to me he seems stunningly beautiful. For $14 he's the best bargain i've ever bought. Everyone who looks at the tank asks me about him. Have to say if you have to err on one side too many water changes are much better than too little.

iTrader

I love what Mervin said along the lines of it possibly taking a year or two to notice effects. My first "Growing in Planted 150" thread started with young discus in an all new substrate, DW, and planted tank. That first group seemed to grow really well as opposed to young discus I introduced several years after without much water management changes.

Also, I early emphasized lifespan... but I have a feeling that many could care less if they have discus making it to 8-10 years or more. But my thinking was that you'll have drastically longer of a period where they're at their most brilliant. Example: I had 3 VR's that were awesome, thick, and big. "Shy" was not in their character and they made other discus feel comfortable and out & about with a tank located in a high traffic area of the house. By 4 years old they started to slowly age too soon and lost my last of 3 right about 5 years of age. Berndt Degen (sp?) had a female green discus that was lively, beautiful, and still laying eggs after 8 years. Sure, I like change... but when I have certain fish I love, I'm starting to change my evil desire for "change". I'm 100% guilty of not appreciating some really awesome specimens until they're gone. (irony, I always tell people and my kids to not take anything or time of something special for granted... stop time and think about what you're fortunate for "now"... yep, I'm a hypocrite)
    -Elliot

iTrader

I thought I'd post a video in lieu of another set of still photos. Please forgive the quality. The colors are washed out. I'm not sure if it's simply a lighting issue or the fact that I'm using a cheap smart phone. Anyway, here's the link:

https://youtu.be/JgYiqnmm4kU

Gold Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

Nice tank, and some very beautiful discus.

Robert

iTrader

Damn't...love the L-shape tank (totally jealous)
    -Elliot

iTrader

Not sure if anyone is following this anymore, but I thought I'd post one last time. The Discus are now 12 months old (near as I can tell). The Giant Otocinclus died for no apparent reason. I subsequently added 6 Diamond Tetras.

Some time later, I removed one Discus that couldn't handle the aggressive behavior of the others and was slowly starving to death. I also removed some Cardinals and two Red Lizard Catfish. I then added five Emerald Corydoras. I am now down to 6 Discus, 18 Cardinal Tetras, 2 Red Lizard Catfish, 6 Diamond Tetras, and 5 Emerald Corydoras. All of the fish except the Discus and the Red Lizards are wild caught. I think the community is now well balanced. I've attached a video, so you can decide for yourself. Sadly, the video is very poor quality. It was made with a cheap phone camera, which is all I've got. It's overexposed and the colors are washed out. I just can't see forking out more than $500 dollars for a phone with a decent camera given how infrequently I use it.

https://youtu.be/1nwlhZqMMQM

Registered Member
    iTrader

D'bunk- is your aquarium L shaped? I just noticed that in this last video. How are your fish?

iTrader

Yes. My aquarium is L-shaped. I wanted something more interesting that would provide me (the fish) with more swimming space. If you're interested, I posted my experience getting the aquarium built under a thread entitled "Building an aquarium the hard way". The fish are doing well.

iTrader

Quote Originally Posted by D'bunk View Post
    Not sure if anyone is following this anymore, ...

https://youtu.be/1nwlhZqMMQM
    I am! Love the pics & videos. Beautiful group you've got
    -Elliot

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345