Cafepress Store     AquaticSuppliers.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A Lazy Man's Guide to Discus

iTrader

Default Re: A Lazy Man's Guide to Discus

Here are a few more photos now 4 months after purchase. Since this thread has gone stale, these will be the last.

IMG_20211218_082029818.jpgIMG_20211218_130455630.jpgIMG_20211218_154714115_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Registered Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Vinni Smith View Post
    One of the best threads I have ever read on this forum!

I too do not get the idea that discus need to be a lot of work or are hard to keep. About 50% WC every 3-4 weeks. I also do not age water.

Now, I understand that all of our locations and logistics are not the same and our jobs do indeed very from area to area. I can only speak for my little part of the globe. I have found that our discus are the same as our saltwater tanks. The more you leave them alone and keep your hands out of the tank, the better they do. I don't agree with keeping them constantly at unrest by stirring up their surroundings by cleaning and WCs. I have found you leave them alone and they do better.

I have totally changed my focus from Discus tanks to community tanks. We no longer look at our discus as the focal point or reason for the aquarium. Why? I find discus alone to be BORING! Unless you prefer fish that just stay in one spot unless of course they are bullying another discus or fighting over food. Yes, they are indeed cichlids.

Switched over to mostly frozen foods. SF and Hikari BW, (I do not buy into only Hikari can be trusted theory). Cichlid Delight and occasional beef heart. Sometimes BW pellets and FD Tubifex worms. Some flakes for the mollies.

I do not agree with the More is Better theory on discus either. Our main tank now only houses 5 discus. Shop tank has 3 discus and the one downstairs houses 2 discus.

As far as tank mates go. Our main tank 112 gallons has a bunch of platinum white mollies, 1 black moore goldfish, some hillstream loaches and 5 discus (all much bigger than my hand). They are huge, all get together well and spawn like crazy. That tank is bare bottom and I siphon the poop out each morning and top off the water level only because I do not like looking at the poop. HOB filter - 3 stacked sponge filters run by a power head - UV filter (not sure that does anything at all) and an airstone. 79 degrees. That's it. Fed twice daily. All frozen foods. Occasionally BW pellets. Some flaked food for the mollies. Also FD tubifex worms in the cubes stuck onto the side because it is fun to watch them eat. Not a problem in this tank for about 6 months now.

Shop tank 112 gallon has some mollies, a couple dozen guppies, 2 angelfish, 10 corys and 3 discus. All doing fantastic. That one gets a WC about every 3-4 weeks. 50-75%. HOB filter - 1 sponge filter and 1 air stone. This tank is where all the misfits live. Especially the fish that are being bullied. Anyone gets sad, they get dumped into this tank. Their attitude changes right away. I keep this one about 82 degrees. fed 2-3 time per day. Frozen, flakes and freeze dried plankton and also some algae tabs.

Tank downstairs is bare bottom 56 gallon. A pair of 2 large discus. 2 albino BN plecos and a goldfish. 50% WC about once per month. HOB with 1 Sponge filter and an air stone. All doing well.. Colors are great. fed twice per day. Mostly just frozen foods.

I know we all have our own ways and opinions. I just don't agree with One Way Theories. I also adhere to the theory that you get out of the hobby what you put into it. No work, not much pleasure if any at all. We have kept fish for almost all of our lives now. Since we started treating the discus the same as any other fish they have been flourishing.

We have purchased or fish from a few places, but the best of them come from Miranda at Chicago Discus. Also some asian fish from the lfs. They get them from Sun Pets in Vietnam.
    I have to say i like your approach. In my 55 gal my discus is the centerpiece fish but the community as a whole puts the tank over the top for me. The discus interaction with the Elephant Nose that shares his favorite piece of driftwood is comedy gold. At feeding time the discus gets annoyed by anyone in his area. He charges at the Elephant Nose but stops just short of hitting him. For the most part he ignores the discus. The hatchets never ending interacting with each other provides interest in a usual dead space at the top. The cardinals provide a pop of colors you usually see in saltwater tanks. I could go on [rummy nose, corys, loaches] but i'm sure you understand.

iTrader

I REALLY love the sheen (sp?) on that group
    -Elliot

iTrader

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    I REALLY love the sheen (sp?) on that group
    The cheap phone camera I'm using really doesn't do them justice. At feeding time their color really pops, a beautiful shimmering iridescent blue-green. Reminds me of the original Wattley Turquoise strain I owned many, many years ago.

iTrader
    Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Beautiful fish and beautiful tank bro!

iTrader

Quote Originally Posted by Vinni Smith View Post
    Beautiful fish and beautiful tank bro!
    Thanks! I appreciate the thought and the response.

Registered Member
    iTrader

Really enjoyed this thread. I am interested to find out if you have encountered any issues with aggression. Thanks

iTrader

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvinzzz View Post
    Really enjoyed this thread. I am interested to find out if you have encountered any issues with aggression. Thanks
    I've actually been thinking about posting on this topic. Discus social interactions can be complex, and aggression is part of that. Aggression is typically displayed during feeding time.

Currently, I have two dominant fish that will chase the others. One of them is and always has been Number One. Number One will also peck-and-chase the second fish, but not nearly as much as he chases the others. In fact, what I have observed is that each discus has its favorite target. Furthermore, those relationships can change over time.

In short, I have 7 discus, two of which are more aggressive than the others. However, every single one of them will show aggression towards one or more of the others at various times. After feeding periods, things calm down considerably. Lastly, the overall level of aggression can vary from day to day. On some days, there is almost no aggressive behavior at all.

iTrader
    4 (100%)

D'bunked I love your selection of blue discu. I hope you do post again in a few months so we can see their progression. I don't think this tread has gone stale.

iTrader
    4 (100%)

Also I meant to say I love the simplicity of your tank, Same way I aquascape mine.

Registered Member
    iTrader

Great thread. I love hearing about the "there isn't only one way of keeping discus" and as some of you have said, most of that stems from the fact that recommendations are based on growing 7" discus, raising juvenile, or breeding them. I've been keeping discus for over a year and was concerned about the "beautiful" blue gravel my wife insisted on because I read that gravel couldn't (wouldn't, shouldn't) work in a discus tank. I've had several fish grow from 3" to 6" with WC every 5 days. Two months ago I decided to add some plants to make the decor a little more interesting (and I needed something new to pique my interest) and for the most part have been successful with the amazons, ferns, vallisneria, and anubias.
    IMG_4750.jpg

Registered Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

This is a great thread! I'm new to this forum and am just now working my way through some of the more interesting threads. This one was worth start at the beginning and reading all the way through.

I have been keeping aquariums, off and on, for over 50 years. I fell in love with Discus some 30 years ago. I have always kept them in community tanks with Angels, Cardinals, Emperor Tetras, Angels and an assortment of catfish. While I have just recently gotten back into keeping discus, the last tank I had I performed water changes about once every 2 weeks, if I had time. I would change 30% using TAP water, unaged, with no water conditioner. Not only did my Discus thrive, they spawned. I never could understand why everyone said Discus were so difficult to raise.

Robert

iTrader

Look, I've had some awesome, rambunctious discus groups who've also mated more often than bunnies... but life spans were much shorter (not just growth).

"Discus aren't hard"... that's something I've had my own mind evolve since getting my balls bashed in here when I first joined. To me, I love healthy discus... but when I see BIG healthy discus, I drool like Scooby over a scooby snack. I know I can't grow 20 out of 25 brown based reds to +6.75" with my current environment & routine, but striving for +6.5. Tough to do. Even tougher to have lifespans where they need to be.

The colors I see with large discus (my opinion) are amazing... but discus keeping has made me realize how all fish do so much better with the more new, good water they get. There are certainly exceptions that I've personally seen (crazy awesome mysterious water growing HUGE discus while doing tiny WCs twice a month at best)... but I never got to see how long those fish lived.

I'm saying this because I have an inherent respect for this community's message to push for the best water practices you can do... even while I admittingly DON'T. This isn't my thread but I feel like it's my obligation (as the sites admitted violator of the message) to chime in and at least ask that if you cheer for keeping discus with minimal water parameters, at least state (& document) your growth expectations and lifespan expectations. Nothing wrong with what you're doing... but can be misleading to current/ future new discus hobbyists who may want different goals.

Crap.... now I feel like I'm being a damn parent or Debbie downer... I'M SORRY!!!!!!! lol
    -Elliot

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

Don't feel bad Elliot and good post. Fact is all fish do better with clean water.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

iTrader
    Real Name
    Tom

Smart*** here! I’ve been following the thread and it’s a good thread. D’bunk your approach at discus keeping should work. Large tank and few fish means less cleaning to many fish keepers. Nothing new. Discus are different in my opinion. I just didn’t like your first post. To me living on Long Island with some of the best water in the country I still believe in new clean water. It just works better! Hands down. As to your tank I like the white gravel. That will be in my next tank if I can find it. My tanks all have gravel or bare. Thing with gravel is it needs to be vacuumed. Waste just gathers under it. So I hope your vacuuming it during your monthly cleanings. Good luck and keep the pics coming!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast