AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Been loosing chickens to predators

Registered Member

Default Re: Been loosing chickens to preditors

Liz
    I would inclined to think it's a weasel.
    Weasels,fox and hawks have been the main suspects here in Ct.
    Last year I had a weasel break into my coup at night a slaughtered 9 hens.
    Just left them there, never took any for a meal, just killed and maimed so my thought ,weasels.
    Jay Walsh

and hawks have driven me crazy. But, weasels they are bad. One night last year one got into the coup,I have never figured out how,

How terrible! I've never heard anything about weasels here in Mississippi but I'll ask around to the folks who have lived here right in my own little community for generations.
    Mama Bear

You know what it was? It was a d@mn fox. It kept snagging them every day or every other day until the only hen left was Isabel's friend, Olivia. She came running in the house when she saw her best friend Isabel taken. I let her stay inside for 3 weeks, picking up Chicken $hit the entire time. She also decided to mold around that time. Lucky me. During the time Olivia was inside I saw that fox crossing the front yard like it owned the place 3 times.

After 3 weeks I couldn't handle constantly picking up $hit and feathers and I threw her outside. The fox must have moved on to greener pastures because Olivia is still alive and doing well. She goes outside in the morning and comes back in to sleep. The molt is about over so I should be getting an egg a day soon.

This whole experience was very painful for me to go through. I live too far down in the woods to have free range chickens and since I can no longer do the physical labor involved in making a secure run I guess that having chickens is a thing of the past for me. It's a shame but it is what it is...
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

My son and his wife (mostly his wife) have lots of animals, and guinea hens are what they raise and let run wild eating bugs including ticks. They actually bond and follow them around, but they roost up in the trees to keep themselves safe. They do also have chickens, ducks, geese, and a turkey, and three emu, (and dogs, cat, goats, rabbit) which all have pens or kennels for the evening.
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 08-04-2022 at 07:24 PM.

Real Name
    Fritz

Liz if you look online at hardware stores they have 10ftx10ft dog runs. I bought two extra panels and have a 10x20 chicken run. I secured my hen house to the fence and cut it out. got a great tarp on amazon to keep the flying critters out. total cost was about $300. lasted 2 years so far. Only fatalities are a couple chickens that slept to close to fence and racoons got them.
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Real Name
    Fritz

https://tinyurl.com/2sm2rmyz

Here is one. Local hardware stores have them also. I bought extra panels from true value for $75 each. ended up 10x20ft.

Fritz
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Thank you Fritz, but I don't like to keep my animals locked up in a small area. If I ever do something I will buy electric netting and give them a huge run. l would have to come into a windfall in order to do that. I'll make do with my one hen until then.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Liz. I looked into electric fences from Premier fence and the prices are not too bad and
    they have many sizes and choices for powering them. I am with you on cooping them up.
    I have 16 by 24 run which I never use and I haven't had any problems lately because I now have
    Bernese[my 4th and a golden my 3rd] and they have adopted the chickens so noting is going to
    near them..

Jay

I've been selling a lot of fish lately but I'll still have to save up. My hot water heater went out last month and my central AC went out before that. I was able to buy used window units from my neighbor who also installed them for me. I was without hot water for 3 weeks before I sucked it up and put one on my credit card. The same neighbor installed it for me. I could have done it myself but those things weigh like 150 lbs.

Since I am no longer able to work I have to make it on SS and fish sales only. I'm not complaining. I love my life, I just want you to understand my situation. More chickens and what is necessary to keep them safe are not at the top of my list.
    Mama Bear

can you setup some trail cameras? or wifi cameras with motion alerts?

I'll ask my neighbor about that. He has cameras everywhere. Around his house for security which I think is silly considering where we all live, and cameras to see where the deer are because he's a hunter.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12