AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Food for Discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    sigourneyanderson

Default Food for Discus

Hello all,

My discus are not eating beef hearts. I purchase the frozen San Francisco Bay beef heart; it just fowls up the water. They eat the pellets and blood worms as well as brine shrimp.

I am trying to feed different foods but this particular food they are not having it.

Any suggestions for alternative food, would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Food for Discus

I make my own BH for discus. They love it and there's never any leftovers to foul the water. Plus, freeze dried blackworm cubes are a favorite food as well. Very nutritious!

https://www.aquaticsuppliers.com/cat...c?categoryId=5

Real Name
    Willie

I recommend backing off on the frozen blood worms and go with any high quality dried food. My discus happen to relish beefheart, but they start their day with VibraBites. I put in a lot, but the bottom gets cleaned by noon. They get frozen food at the end of the day.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    TONY

This is a response post of mine to a member from a few years back:

Re: Alternate to Beef Heart Mix
    Can someone please advice if simply feeding blood worms and brine shrimps will suffice the nutritions required for discus. I am little worried as my discus refuses to accept tetra bits or any other discus pellets.

You'll need a bit more than just that. There are a number of different things you can choose to diversify your discus' diet. Mine is a bit extreme (OCD) but the choices are many. Food varies every couple a days - live blackworms, Hans frozen beef mix, San Fran Bay Frozen Bloodworms, Mysis Shrimp, Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes, Als Austrailian freeze dried blackworms, O.S.I. Spirulina Flakes, NLS Discus Formula pellets & Dainichi Cichlid - Color FX + Vita-Chem once a week. "T"
    125g Tenecor - Cardinal, Serpae, Bloodfin, Redeye, Phantom & Pristella Tetra - Ghost Shrimp - Raphael Cats - Stendker Discus
    Rena XP4, Eheim 2075, 2 A/C500, 2(250w) Ebo-Jagers / Jehmco Controller, 29g AGA-sick
    "Knowledge Gained & Not Shared Is Knowledge Lost"