ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flatness of stand top

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Re: Flatness of stand top

That stand is beautiful and well made. Like Liz said, you will need spectacular fish to compete with that stand!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Darrell Walker

I got a reply to me email inquiry with Aquarium Masters (after sending a photo of my stand that they asked for):

Hello,

If it just a sheet of paper you’ll be fine. The tank will settle slightly once filled. Padding will not be necessary, but if it makes you feel better you can use neoprene or a piece of corrugated cardboard (shipping box rated 175lbs.+).

Nice cabinet, this is how all cabinets should be built.

Thank you for choosing Aquarium Masters.
    AM Customer Care
    So I'm feeling better, I will still put some 1/4" high density neoprene under the edge.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Darrell Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    That stand is beautiful and well made. Like Liz said, you will need spectacular fish to compete with that stand!
    Barb

Thanks Barb!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Darrell Walker

The filling starts!

IMG_2164.jpg

Man, now that I see it I find it perfect. God I love your taste. I'd love to see some pics of the art work you have.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Styrofoam is the way to go, but. I would venture a guess that wood is south African pine.
    The reason I say this is I bought 9 , 6 panel doors from HD and usually they are made of Northern
    white pine from Canada and the Northern States.
    When I started staining them I said to my self that no way was this NWP and I mentioned to my wife.
    She said check the stamp on the end of the door and sure enough it was South African pine.
    Look exactly like your stand.
    JW

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Darrell Walker

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Man, now that I see it I find it perfect. God I love your taste. I'd love to see some pics of the art work you have.
    Here you go, they are just there temporarily, had to rearrange furniture when the tank went in.

IMG_2165.jpg

Got the tank filled without incident, other than the big driftwood got floaty once the water level rose. Didn't have anything big enough to presoak it (other than the bathtub, but I didn't think my SO would appreciate that!). Also a shot of the underside, still need to organize a bit better, but couldn't wait to get things running.

IMG_2166.jpg
    IMG_2167.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Darrell Walker

Thought I'd post a quick update, my cycle is progressing, and the wood has stopped (or at least slowed) making my water look like tea, and is mostly sunken. Moved the hardscape around a bit, and added a few plants today.

I've also been perfecting my water changing process.

IMG_2177.jpg
    Last edited by TR8Driver; 10-27-2021 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added water changing note

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12