ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flatness of stand top

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Darrell Walker

Default Flatness of stand top

I'm setting up a 120 gallon (48" x 24" x 24") aquarium. I've built the stand myself, using the typical 2x4 construction seen everywhere. I have a support in the center of the sides as well, even though most say that isn't needed on a 4-foot tank.

I worked really hard to get the top flat/planar, I even made a giant sanding block out of a 2' x 4' sheet of MDF. Using a 4 foot level, the top is within 1/32" (or better) of flat, and as far as I can tell by using a level across the corners, sighting, etc, it is in a single plane. I'm not sure I can get it any better at this point. I'm sure it is probably more precise than a commercial wooden stand, though I suspect they rely on being a bit flexible. My stand is quite rigid, I suspect in comparison.

My first attempt at putting the tank on the stand resulted in some gaps, that's why I went with the giant sanding block. While I was waiting for the finish to dry, I decided to check the aquarium, and I found that on the ends, the center of the bottom is 1/8" raised. And checking on the top of the long sides, they are also nearly a 1/8" off, though high in the center (I can't easily check the bottoms of the long sides as it is sitting on sawhorses).

So my stand is certainly flatter than the tank is. We'll see when I put the tank back on the stand where things fall.

Am I overthinking this? I see all of these raw 2x4 stands, I believe mine is certainly more true than most. This is by far the largest and most expensive tank I've ever had, so maybe I'm a bit paranoid. Should I be worried? Should I be trying to match the stand to the tank?

I've also considered putting some high density neoprene tape (1/8" or 1/4" perhaps) under the edges, but I see lots of warning not to do that for a rimmed aquarium, but not reasons why. I realize the foam won't fully even out the stresses if there is a mis-match, but it should even it out a big (side note, I did the math and based on the size of the rim and weight of the tank, there should only be around 10 PSI on the foam, which shouldn't full compress it). I guess there might be concern that with the tank "floating" on the foam, it might shift?

I had also considered trying to use some self-leveling compound (epoxy probably) to make sure the stand top is perfectly planar, but based on my recent measurements of the tank, that wouldn't solve anything. And I don't really want to glue the tank to the stand, but would something like construction adhesive fill the gaps and make a perfect match?

Default Re: Flatness of stand top

I'm not a very good carpenter so I had a real carpenter build my stands. One was a whole 1/4 off. I was able to fix it although fix was very stressful because the 100 gallon tank was full of water and Discus. My fix actually worked. I don't think that 1/32" off anywhere would cause you a problem. Put a 3/4" sheet of styrofam underneath the tank and your small problem should be solved once the tank is filled.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Darrell Walker

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I'm not a very good carpenter so I had a real carpenter build my stands. One was a whole 1/4 off. I was able to fix it although fix was very stressful because the 100 gallon tank was full of water and Discus. My fix actually worked. I don't think that 1/32" off anywhere would cause you a problem. Put a 3/4" sheet of styrofam underneath the tank and your small problem should be solved once the tank is filled.
    Thanks, Liz. I don't want to use the foam, as the design of my stand is such that it looks like the tank is on a cabinet, and an exposed sheet to styrofoam won't look good. That's why I was considering the high-density neoprene, it would more easily disappear.

IMG_2144.jpg

I understand. Unfortunately I'm ignorant of many things. One is that I know nothing about neoprene of any density. There are people here that I'm sure know all about the stuff. Be patient. One of them will have an answer for you.

BTW that is a beautiful stand. I love the wood. I wish you no floods while changing water on that wall to wall carpeting.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 09-30-2021 at 05:11 PM.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Darrell Walker

BTW that is a beautiful stand. I love the wood. I wish you no floods while changing water on that wall to wall carpeting.
    Thanks! I covered the stand in some salvaged wood I've had for way too long. I only wish the one light piece didn't need to be used, but the stripes don't actually look so bold in person. I have a couple of other tanks in that room (saltwater), so I've got old bath towels I put down when things might drip. I actually had a 30H blowout the back (drilled) panel, luckily I was home when it happened and was able to get much of the water out while it was pouring out the back as well. I don't what to repeat that with 120 gallons!

I agree that the striped boards look to planned out. I'm glad that it's not obvious in person. I like your taste.

You don't know what a good flood is. I've screwed up 2 pergo floors with floods inside the house. I've had much worse in the fish room which thank god is on a slab. When I have a huge flood like that I do it to scrub the floor with cleaner using an old stiff bristled corn broom. I let that drain, and rinse with clean water and suck it up with the shop vac. I bet my fish room floor is yearning for a big flood.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Darrell Walker

I agree that the striped boards look to planned out. I'm glad that it's not obvious in person. I like your taste.
    Yeah, if I had been thinking a bit more about it, I could have put them all on the side that is next to the wall. But the tank was going to go on another wall where both sides would have been visible, until someone suggested it was too big to go where I had planned. Hopefully when full of beautiful discus, no one will be looking at the stand!

Real Name
    Brendan

If I understand this correctly, you’re saying that your aquarium is not totally flat/level ? If that is the case I would not be using it. That’s a recipe for a flood right there!

A note on the stand, I believe 1/32 is 0.7mm (according to google conversion) and this would be of no concern for an aquarium. I can’t comment on neoprene, however I would be using styrofoam as it is proven and works. I would work on a way to conceal the edges. This will be easier than cleaning up a flood and potential loss of fish etc. just my 2c and hope that helps. Oh I am a carpenter/builder btw
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Brian

Nice DIY stand! Sorry, can't help on the leveling because I use 1/2" foam on all stands and I build them with concealing the foamboard in mind by adding a 1/2" trim piece.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Darrell Walker

Correction on my initial post, the gap on the ends when placing a straight edge on bottom rim is a little less that 1/16". On the long sides, pressing one end of the straight edge down raised the other end something less that 1/16" (which over 4 feet, probably means quite a bit less that 1/16" out).

Another thought instead of neoprene, I could use 3/16" black foam core board. I could cut it into 3/4" strips to put under the rim (the rim is 3/4" wide).
    Last edited by TR8Driver; 09-30-2021 at 06:57 PM. Reason: added foam core ideal

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Darrell Walker

Quick update, I put the aquarium on the stand. I can slide a sheet of paper in-between in a few places, but can't slide card stock.

There will be doors for the cabinet, they are just waiting final sanding and finishing.

I did contact Aquarium Masters about my observations on the tank, however, they seem more interested in my stand.

IMG_2145.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Darrell Walker

Got the doors finished and mounted.

IMG_2155.jpg

You'd better get some pretty dang good fish if you expect them to be the center off attention. I can't take my eyes off the stand. That wood! It is beautiful. Do you remember where it came from? My neighbor made a beautiful dining room table from old wood he dragged up out of the river. That level of craftsmanship and knowledge of wood just blows me away.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Darrell Walker

You'd better get some pretty dang good fish if you expect them to be the center off attention. I can't take my eyes off the stand. That wood! It is beautiful. Do you remember where it came from? My neighbor made a beautiful dining room table from old wood he dragged up out of the river. That level of craftsmanship and knowledge of wood just blows me away.
    Thanks, Liz! My dad used to work at a lumber mill, they got a batch (maybe even just a single log) of this stuff. I've had these boards for about 20 years, finally found a project to use them on.

Thank you for knowing that you had something of quality. Your dad taught you well. Now every time you look at the stand you can think of him.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast