AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 55-gallon rainbowfish tank

Real Name
    Mauro

Default My 55-gallon rainbowfish tank

Hi everyone,

Some old-timers here might remember me. Thanks to advice I got in this forum, I was able to keep and breed some beautiful wild discus, especially Cuipeuas. My YouTube channel has videos of the wild discus I kept in the past:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMa...S-sQv8uoPmVhsg

I don’t have the space and resources required to keep discus at the moment, but I hope to keep them again at some point. In the meantime, I set up a low-tech, 55-gallon rainbowfish tank and I wanted to share it with you. Here is the setup:

Filtration: 2217 Eheim canister filter and one sponge filter
    Heater: Hydor in-line heater
    Light: Fluval Plant 3.0 LED
    Substrate: Black diamond blasting sand
    Fish: 3 Melanotaenia Boesemani “Aves Creek”; 4 Melanotaenia Parva; 5 Melanotaenia Maccullochi "Stark River"; 4 Panda Garras; 8 Glowlight Danios; and 1 Bristlenose Pleco.
    Plants: Anubias (Barteri Nana Long Wavy, Barteri Round, Congensis, Nana Petite White, and Nana Thick Leaf), Bacopa Monnieri, Cabomba, Cryptocoryne Mioya, Echinodorus Ozelot, Ludwigia Repens, Mini Bolbitis, Red Tiger Lotus, Rotala Wallichi, Sagittaria Subulata, and Vallisneria Americana.

And here are some pictures:

Tank1.jpg
    Tank2.jpg

One of the Boesemani “Aves Creek”:

Bow.jpg

Melanotaenia Parva:

Parva.jpg

Melanotaenia Maccullochi "Stark River:"

Macc2.jpg

The tank is low-tech, but I just ordered a CO2 system. It will be my first experience with CO2. I want to grown plants like these Rotala Wallichi, which can get beautiful colors with fertilization and CO2, and decided to take the plunge.

Rotala.jpg

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and that I miss my discus and the people in this forum. The other fish forums are incredibly boring compared to this one.

Take care,

Mauro

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Re: My 55-gallon rainbowfish tank

Hi Mauro, I wondered where you went. Your Rainbow tank is beautiful! I used to have one too, loved those fish. Your plants look good and healthy too, with CO2 I bet they will really fill up the tank. Check in once in awhile here and show us how it is doing? For those who don't know, I sent cones to Mauro who took them to South America, Brazil I think.

Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by Disgirl View Post
    Hi Mauro, I wondered where you went. Your Rainbow tank is beautiful! I used to have one too, loved those fish. Your plants look good and healthy too, with CO2 I bet they will really fill up the tank. Check in once in awhile here and show us how it is doing? For those who don't know, I sent cones to Mauro who took them to South America, Brazil I think.

Barb
    Hi Barb, nice to hear from you! Thank you for your comments. Yes, your beautiful cones made all the way to Brazil (I now live in New Orleans). Here is one of your cones in action in the Southern hemisphere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRmTIBAxzdA

Real Name
    Bud Smith

Your rainbow tank is very nice. Like the landscape and of course the rainbows. Collecting rainbows my self right now.
    Bud

That's a lovely story and a great video. What I would give to own fish the quality of the ones in that video...It's a shame you're not looking for Discus ATM. I have some lovely SS's that I'm having to let go.

I have a rainbow fish tank, too. It's a 125 in my office. My favorites are the Neon's and the Millennium Reds. I bought all the medium strains years ago and grew them out from little guys. Now that the rainbows in that tank are old now and starting to die once I build up a decent credit with my LFS I plan to get just my 2 favorite types. I keep a few red platy's in the 125 with the rainbows to provide them with a constant supply of live food. Nothing is better for any fish than live baby fish.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mauro

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Smith View Post
    Your rainbow tank is very nice. Like the landscape and of course the rainbows. Collecting rainbows my self right now.
    Thank you. They are fun, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    That's a lovely story and a great video.
    Thank you, Liz. Nice to hear from you.

What I would give to own fish the quality of the ones in that video...
    I got mine from Dan's Fish. He only has high-quality stock.

It's a shame you're not looking for Discus ATM. I have some lovely SS's that I'm having to let go.
    I saw your post about them. They look fantastic!

I have a rainbow fish tank, too. It's a 125 in my office. My favorites are the Neon's and the Millennium Reds. I bought all the medium strains years ago and grew them out from little guys. Now that the rainbows in that tank are old now and starting to die once I build up a decent credit with my LFS I plan to get just my 2 favorite types. I keep a few red platy's in the 125 with the rainbows to provide them with a constant supply of live food. Nothing is better for any fish than live baby fish.
    Good to know you also got rainbows. You might want to check for new rainbow varieties. They keep introducing some gorgeous fish to the hobby.

Wow Mauro, that is a great video of your discus spawning. Thanks for showing us that. Did you raise that spawn?
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Mauro

Wow Mauro, that is a great video of your discus spawning. Thanks for showing us that. Did you raise that spawn?
    Barb
    Not that one, but I was able to raise one batch. Here are the 10-day old babies with the parents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyYNsPgDmJQ

And here are the leftover babies around 6-monh old:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qona2BIjTio

Real Name
    Tom

Nice group of rainbow fish! I also keep them. My oldest is 5+yrs.E2FCC37E-A1E8-45F2-956B-1DCF1699F8B4.jpg. He’s been a great fish and has brought me many more over the years. Took me a long time to realize they were breeding. I only found out when moving plants out of his tank into the shrimp tank. Many weeks later I would find the fry swimming on top of that tank. Bosemani grow very slowly. So been growing what new ones I find in the shrimp tank for about 4 yrs now. This year I bought 3 new females to add to an offspring male in my discus tank. These produced 15 fry about a month later. I found these on the top of the tank and in the sump of the wet/dry. I have 10of these growing now 3 months later.3804DEB5-DC6B-49ED-B659-9B98E8F1516C.jpg. Lost that male and moved another offspring into the discus tank. This week I’ve caught 10 more tiny fry. Have them growing out in a 5g. Hoping I’ve got some males in these 2 groups.

Real Name
    Mauro

Nice Boesemani. Sorry to hear you don't have him anymore. Congrats on the fry. I hope they will grow as nice as that big guy.

Mauro, this thread is making me want another rainbowfish tank again!
    Barb

Real Name
    Mauro

Mauro, this thread is making me want another rainbowfish tank again!
    Barb

Real Name
    Mauro

Some major developments. I decided to go high-tech and got a CO2 system. I moved things around and got the final batch of plants. It includes Alternanthera Reineckii "Mini" as a middle-ground plant. I will also try to develop a carpet with dwarf baby tears (Hemianthus Callitrichoides).

NewPlants1.jpg

And here is the tank after the arrival of all plants and in the second day of CO2 injection.

Tank.jpg

Oh my word that is going to be a beautiful tank. Actually it's beautiful already. I don't have the patience to take care of the upkeep of a tank like that.

Do you know what variety of rainbows you raised by accident. I realized that I raised some myself by accident when I moved a plant on driftwood from the rainbow tank to a black ram breeding tank. The rainbows and ram eggs must have gone free swimming at the same time because the parents took care of both spawns. Mine have the characters of Australians judging by color and body shape but they are mostly just small silver fish with a split dorsal. They could easily be a cross.
    Mama Bear

It is beautiful Mauro! The blue back ground is perfect for the plants.
    Barb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast