ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: newly arrived wild discus - two have health issues, need help

Registered Member

Default newly arrived wild discus - two have health issues, need help

Hi,
    I just received 10 beautiful wild discus from SantaremDiscus but two have health issues - one is definitely sick, and for the other one I am not 100% sure but need advise:
    1st one: rotting / wounded mouth (see picture) and white feces.
    With the wound on the mouth I would guess bacterial or fungal, but feces is additional concern also for intestinal parasites. I have quarantined this one and need some help how to treat it. Please advise. The fish is otherwise behaving nicely and not yet turning dark or shy.

IMG_9861.jpg

2nd one: a strange looking "bubble" on the side of the fish... I've never seen something like this. Any ideas? Should I quarantine this one as well? I only have one quarantine tank so would it make sense for both of these fish to undergo the same treatment protocol?

IMG_9879.jpg

Problem: two newly arrived wild discus have health issues - one mouth and poop, the other one a bubble on the side

Tank/Water: 1200L (>400gal), newly set-up, fully cycled. Total 10 new wild discus. Automatic water change with RO water and reminelization with Seachem, daily AWC ~50L
    Ammonia=0, Nitrites=0, Nitrates 1-2, pH 6.8, conductivity ~350uS, T=27,5C

Registered Member

Default Re: newly arrived wild discus - two have health issues, need help

So sorry to hear this, especially from Santarem. Years ago I purchased directly thru them and went thru an entire medicine cabinet treating every known discus parasite, worm, etc.
    I hope this is just a fluke

Can anybody tell, but is that possibly a tapeworm in picture number1? If so treat with prazi you can use prazi pro form Hikari.
    Jerry Baer
    it's just a box of rain

Hi there, i am unfortunately unable to zoom in on the mouth but what you are describing does sound bacterial. Could you get a closer photo of the mouth wound?

Tammy

Registered Member

Hey all, I was able to take a sample of the white poop and have a look under a microscope... here is a video I shot with a phone... not perfect, but you can clearly see some small parasites swimming around, some larger ones - especially in the second part of the video you can see a few (could these be Spironucleus?) and a larger worm-like parasite (a fluke or a capillaria?).

Would anyone of you be able to more precisely determine what is happening in there, what are the parasite species and suggest the right treatment for this fish?

The worm us planaria or detritus. This poop sample is contaminated from the environment unfortunately.

Registered Member

Why do you suggest contamination?
    ...I took the poop with tweezers after it fell off, put it on the microscope glass slide, squeezed it flat with the small glass cover slide and examined. No step in between.

They can still be contaminated. It touched something while it was on the fish. The worms in the video are planaria or detritus, they live in the tank. Some of the smaller flagellates look like paramecium, also tank dwelling. There may or may not be parasites.
    Several questions for you. Did you do a QT period with treatments when you got the fish?
    Do you have a bare bottom tank you can do treatment in?
    Tammy