AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Advice on grow out tank

Registered Member

Default Advice on grow out tank

Had a good spawn...moved them un a 55g at pea size...eating decap bribe and beefheart...problem is there is so many..
    I do about 80 percent water change a day..

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jay

Default Re: Advice on grow out tank

Awesome job with the spawn and getting them this far.

You will need a larger grow out tank. I had this problem with 80+ group of wilds I am raising. I had them in a 40 gallon but with 80+ of them in there the water would go bad very quickly. I was doing 90% water changes twice a day.

I moved them to 110 Gallon with 90% water change once a day. Four large sponge filters were the filtration. They eventually outgrew this one as well, so now I have them split into two 75 gallon tanks with 90% water change once a day. Two large sponge filters per tank for filtration.

Wiping down the tank is also going to go a long way to keeping things clean, I was wiping the tank down every other day.

You will need more space, culling the group will help, but there is pretty much no way around it.

Best of luck with the spawn!

The best grow out tanks have a large surface area. Tank height is not important for young grow outs. My favorites are my 60 wides and the fish get larger and need more height I move them to 90's.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I move batches to 5 different tanks before a 55 or 60 gallon that because I want the size to be even and at the same
    time cull as early as possible.

Cliff

You have to remember that Cliff was a big deal breeder so he had all those size tanks available. We work with what we have but for sure you need a lot more tank space to raise a large spawn.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I run about 50 tanks...small fishroom.
    I'm going to look at getting our of breeding Africans...that would leave me alot of tanks.
    Thx for the info!