ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: pairing discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Richard

Default pairing discus

Hi all, I have 15 mainly Piwowarski discus in my 200 show tank. They are now 2 years old but no pair yet. I do water change bi-weekly and water parameters are 60-70 ppm and ph 6.0, I dropped water temperature by 2-4 degrees twice but no result yet. Any other trick or advises?

Registered Member

Default Re: pairing discus

Too crowded, take out 7 or 8 Discus.

Cliff

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Richard

Really, I was more concerned about the water settings. thank you Cliff

Registered Member

attention moderators. I have sent 2 emails without response. I am not able to start a new thread and the web pages are incomplete.

Thanks

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Richard

Thanks again Cliff, I downsized the number of discus in my show tank. And guess what? I had a pair of Piwowarski blue diamond which laid eggs. I moved the pair in a smaller tank and today they laid eggs again. Just hoping that the eggs are good. I did not use methylene blue. Is it true to use methylene within 1-2 hours after spawning otherwise I will have to effect?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Richard

No luck with the first batch of eggs. Meanwhile a have another blue diamond pair that laid eggs on a magnet cleaner in my show tank. I am thinking of moving the pair and the eggs in a separate tank. Is it a good idea?

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by discusbreeder View Post
    No luck with the first batch of eggs. Meanwhile a have another blue diamond pair that laid eggs on a magnet cleaner in my show tank. I am thinking of moving the pair and the eggs in a separate tank. Is it a good idea?
    You can screen or remove the eggs, in 72 hours after spawning the fertile eggs will turn dark, at that time you can move the pair and the eggs in their own tank.

Cliff

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Richard

I was ready to transfer the pair, i had screen the eggs. But after 72 hours the eggs were still orange (not white) but never hached. Any idea?? Water is 82F and hardness 70 ppm

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I was ready to transfer the pair, i had screen the eggs. But after 72 hours the eggs were still orange (not white) but never hached. Any idea?? Water is 82F and hardness 70 ppm
    Hi Richard, have you observed the tubes on the pair? The female will be larger with a squared off end and the male will be smaller with a pointer end. I am wondering if you have two females.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Were the eggs solid orange or translucent? Sounds like the eggs were not fertilize by the male this time.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Richard

I did not look closely but I d say they were solid orange, usually when the eggs are not fertilize they turn white after 24 hrs. First time it happens

Registered Member

I did not look closely but I d say they were solid orange, usually when the eggs are not fertilize they turn white after 24 hrs. First time it happens
    The eggs that are not fertile are not always white, they can be solid orange, and clear orange or amber color. As for the clear amber or orange color eggs at 72 hours the fertile eggs should turn dark or you should see a small black dot in the center of each egg.