AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New wild Green for me

Registered Member

Default New wild Green for me

I was really happy and fortunate to get these Greens from the breeder. I began discus collecting with wilds and have now migrated back to them this past year. Here is the description I received from the breeder. And Pat, if we ever get to fry we have to exchange.

These discus are from the Iquitos, Peru area of the Amazon, and more specifically from the Rio Nanay river. They are officially called Peruvian Red Spot Green Discus and generally the males will get more red spots than the females (but not always). The wholesalers in Iquitos price them to the export market based on the number of red spots when adults. The juveniles of course you cannot tell as they develop with age. I’ve keep discus on and off for years, at one point breeding them pretty much commercially having 20+ pairs set up. Now I’m only keeping these wild type ones and will say I find them awesome.

The juveniles I’ll be selling are F1’s from wild fish that I have personally brought back from Peru. Right now they are 50 cent piece to silver dollar size and that will be the size I’m selling them at. At some point down the road I may let a few of the adults go but that is way off and just a maybe. I have these fish eating a varied diet of frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms, freeze dried blackworms, krill flakes, some various pellets and crumbles. Also I’m just keeping them in the water that comes out of our tap, no special filtration or additives, and they are doing great!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: New wild Green for me

Good to hear the F1s are in tap Norm. I am raising F2 Cuipeua and I still have them in a RO/tap mix. Can you share any pics of the green F1s? or a link to the breeder?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Good to hear the F1s are in tap Norm. I am raising F2 Cuipeua and I still have them in a RO/tap mix. Can you share any pics of the green F1s? or a link to the breeder?
    Pat
    The photos would only show little brown fish. They are about 50 cent size. I will ask the breeder if it is okay to release information but he does not ship is why I will ask how he wants to handle sales should he have any left.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Roy

Quote Originally Posted by nah View Post
    The photos would only show little brown fish. They are about 50 cent size. I will ask the breeder if it is okay to release information but he does not ship is why I will ask how he wants to handle sales should he have any left.
    Hi Norm (@nah),

I heard you picked some up, I'm glad that you were able to get some. My F1's from the same breeder are about 18 months old now and doing fine. I also picked up a school of fifteen (15) wild Fairy Spotted Corydoras (Corydoras atropersonatus) from the Rio Nanay; thinking about maybe doing a biotope. The Corys are currently in quarantine. Wishing you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving! -Roy

Spotted Fairy Cordoras