ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PH trouble

Registered Member

Default PH trouble

Anyone ever experience PH jumping in the tank after water changes? I have a 60 gallon cube I知 working to get ready for discus. I致e been doing 50% water changes for the past couple weeks using RO water. My RO ph is 6.0 with 0 Kh and 0 gh. I知 using Equilibrium to remineralize the RO water up to approx 3-4 gh before adding to the aquarium. The problem I am having is I add the water to my tank and retest PH after 24hrs, the PH is up to like 7.6. I値l buffer it down using Discus buffer to 6.8-7, but it jumps again after the next water change and I need to buffer it down again. What am I doing wrong? The tank is 82 degrees, I have regular aquarium grade stone substrate and some Seachem Flourite for some plants. I have a small branch from an apple tree and some river stones. Filter is an Eheim Pro 350 with fluval biomax media and some filter floss and the eheim sponge. I also have a sponge prefilter on the intake. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Default Re: PH trouble

My first question is what kind of test kit you are using. My second is why aren't you using aged tap. My third is how often are you doing WC and what is the percentage of tank water are you changing.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I’m using API test kits for the PH and the KH/GH. My tap water has higher PH which is why I was using RO water. I age it for at least 24hrs with a pump to move the water and a heater. I’ve been doing once a week while I tried to get the PH right.

Real Name
    Willie

Why are you using R/O? Your tap water seems perfectly fine to raise and breed discus. Throwing in Equilibrium and Discus Buffer is just over complicating your life and doing nothing for the fish. Experienced discus keepers will all tell you to adopt the K.I.S.S. approach.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

We generally recommend daily WC of at least 30%. High pH is fine for Discus. I suggest you dump the pH down because it always creeps back up as you've found out. Daily WC with aged tap will keep the tank water stable. Stability of pH, not how high or low it is, is what matters.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

So forget the RO and just age my tap water? I’m sure I can find this on here, but how long do you generally age your water? Is 24hrs fine?

RO is only necessary for breeding. 24 hrs aging tap is fine otherwise. Good luck!
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Thanks Liz and Willie!

Real Name
    Willie

If you don't mess with water chemistry, there'll be more time to change a lot more water. The results on your discus will be tremendous.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

I raise all my Discus in a ph of 8.9 without any problems, unless your going to raise wilds.

Cliff

Real Name
    Tom

Yes a stable ph is best. What is your ph out of the tap? Than check it again after sitting 24hrs. Do you have chloramine in your tap water? If so I think you may have to add an air stone. A heater to match temp will also help. Are there fish in the tank now? Is the tank cycled? Where are you planning to get your discus?

Registered Member

Ph out of the tap is about 7.6. I’ll do this weekends water change with straight tap water and test it after sitting overnight. I don’t know about the chloromine question, how can I find that out? No fish yet, other than some Cory cats, yes, the tank is cycled. I plan on getting my discus from Discus Madness here in Union, NJ.

Real Name
    Tom

Discus madness has been a good choice. Check the Facebook site seems many have bought from them.

I brought up the chloramine because some of my buddy’s in Jersey have it in their water. One ages his water the other made a series of under counter filters to use his tap. You can call your towns water company to find out what’s in it.

Registered Member

I tested my tap water after aging for 24hrs with a heater and pump circulating the water. PH is 7.6, KH is 3, but the GH is 11. Can the discus thrive in GH this high as long as the water parameters remain constant?

That's great water. What with that kH you should even be able to have eggs hatch in it. Just keep up with your WC's to make sure you don't have a pH crash. The high gH is said to be beneficial to the growth of fry.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast