AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: How I change water

Default How I change water

I got a PM from a member earlier today who, bless his dear heart, is still using buckets. He found an old thread that I had responded to about changing water and asked for pics and an explanation of how I do it.

First, I don't remember the thread so I might have been doing it differently back then. At that time I may have been working full time and did everything with pumps. Since my back forced me to retire, and since I myself move more slowly I am doing in a way that it takes a little longer which give me more time to just sit and, as Pat would say, "listen to the fish".

These days I use the same expensive 1" ID hose for draining, but instead of the strong transfer pump I use suction and gravity. If the pics don't explain it, ask and I will elaborate. If gravity doesn't work in your favor a Wayne transfer does a good job, it's just very loud.

I used to use a strong inline pump that I hard plumbed with 1" PVC and a fancy easy to turn expensive valve to each tank. Man, the water came into those tanks like a raging river! Now that I've slowed down I use a sump pump along with suction and gravity.

This part is easier if you see it than if you read it. Those huge 250 gallon containers are where I age and heat my water. They are full of tap water which it what I use except for breeding. The containers are plumbed together (you can tell that I did this myself due to the sloppy work). The blue 50 gallon barrel closest to the house is filled with tap and aged. There is a sump pump in the other blue barrel where I keep my RO which I move to the tap water barrel when I need to change water in the grow outs. When the water starts getting low I put the clear rubber hose in one of the holes in the bottom container, and get the water flowing by suction and put the hose in the blue barrel to keep it filled while I go from tank to tank.

I hope this is more clear than mud. If not I hope the pics help. If not, please ask.

Now, if I'd known from the get-go, back when I was young and strong, that a slow old lady would prefer WC to be slower as well, I'd have set it up differently. But it still would be messy. I know my limits when it comes to DIY. Thank God, that I'm not into perfection. What I want is something that works well for me and this works well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Larry

Default Re: How I change water

Thank you Liz.

Wow, that is quite a system you have. The thread that I had referred to was installing a drip system and overflow so the tanks could continually have the water changing. I would not be able to come up with something as elaborate as you have, nor would I need it for my little operation. How many tanks do you manage currently?