AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Big Spawn of Pitch Black Rams

Default Big Spawn of Pitch Black Rams

Other than Discus, that I have a machoistic relationship with, my other main breeding fish are Pitch Black Rams. I've posted about them before but it's been a while.

I've been looking for a very productive young new pair from my homebred stock originally from Coral Bandit's line. I've had a few pairs to produce and raise fry but not in the quantity my best pairs have given me. Finally...I hit black gold. I have a had a mom guarding eggs that she had moved to the front very corner of the tank where I couldn't see them. I wouldn't have even known they were there if I wasn't familiar with how Rams act. She didn't go as far as to bite my hand but I could tell what she was up to.

The spawn went free swimming this morning. Man oh man are there ever millions of them. They are happily and hungrily hunting BBS as I type.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Big Spawn of Pitch Black Rams

That's great! I love the blacks I got from you. One of these days I'd like to pick up some more, maybe if I can find more tank space, lol...

They're great fun, Brian.
    Mama Bear

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

The Pitch Black Rams that I got from you are doing well. I passed 2 onto the prez of our local fish club here in southern arizona and he got them to breed.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Some pairs are successful breeders. I think 1 in 4 maybe. You can't count on fry from both black parents that produce black fry only to be fertile. I wish some fish genetic genius would show up in a poof of smoke and explain to me how that works. I'm happy for your friend. He isn't the first. Did he get black and gold fry or only black. So far the ones who produced viable fry have had both. I just put a new pair together this afternoon. I've had 2 failures from this batch so far. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens this time.
    Mama Bear

BTW, the pair that I started this thread about ate a bunch of their kids. They have a group of maybe 20 now. I'm leaving the kids in with the parents for a while longer. I think it will be good for the parents to better understand that raising kids is good. When I put the pair in a new love nest to take another shot of it, I bet they'll do better.
    Mama Bear

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I'm happy for your friend. He isn't the first. Did he get black and gold fry or only black.
    I don't know. I went on vacation shortly after he told me. I'll catch up with him and see how they are. If the parents ate them... Are they old enough to distinguish gold from black, etc.. Another Club member got your rams to breed as well, but they keep eating their eggs. He too a few weeks ago had fry... I'll ask him as well.

Regarding my 6... they are in a very well populated community planted tank. I don't expect any more pairing off action (I had it once with 2 of them, but they ate the eggs).
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops