ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Is Sandstone safe for Discus?

Registered Member

Default Is Sandstone safe for Discus?

I know sandstone can lower ph but does it happen rapidly? My ph is stable in the tank and from tap but don't want it to lower too quickly.

Thanks

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Is Sandstone safe for Discus?

Sandstone is a sedimentary rock and can be fairly soft so it can leach the contents into the tank, which is why you'll see ph fluctuations. Whether the ph goes up or down depends on the composition as well. Other minerals or chemicals can be present depending on where the sandstone comes from. I would use something else but if you want to use sandstone then I would keep a close eye on water parameters and fish behavior.
    Last edited by jeep; 10-31-2021 at 12:38 PM.

Default Re: Is Sandstone safe for Discus?

Yeah... I'd go with what Brian said. I know I've used it in the past but can't remember if that was one of my many screw ups. Regardless, even if it wasn't a screw up, what Brian said was spot on -- depends on make-up (other words: waaaaay too much variation in composition).

Now, if you're a ding dong like me who does trial & error, then hell yeah! Otherwise, check out similar appearing stones. Google a masonry / stone supply company near you. I LOVE mine. Although I still dare to get my own driftwood from nature, I love getting rocks from local stone supplier. It's hilarious going there, weighing vehicle before entering the stone yard, getting 1 or 2 5gallon buckets worth, re-weighing vehicle, then paying noooothing (well, maybe $10-$20) as compared to buying from LFS (don't get me wrong... I support the last remaining LFS around here for certain items... but rocks, DW, and discus aren't one :P ). Your stone places will usually have several folks who are knowledgeable on each stone tape's effect on water (to a point... remember, they aren't worried about fish but they can certainly tell you what can create/maintain higher ph since used around gardens or what not...)
    -Elliot