ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Creamy Shredded Chicken Chili

Real Name
    Brian

Default Creamy Shredded Chicken Chili

I'm going to wake this section up with a decadently rich chili concoction I whipped up a couple of days ago. I made the bad decision to share with some friends and now I have none left, lol...

Creamy Shredded Chicken Chili

Ingredients

3 boneless chicken breasts – boiled and finely shredded
    1 small/medium onion – chopped and sautéed in butter
    1 red/orange or yellow sweet pepper chopped and sautéed in butter
    2 10oz cans Rotel or petite cut tomatoes
    1 or 2 whole cups milk or heavy cream
    24oz chicken stock (add bullion if desired)
    1 small can tomato paste
    1 ½ tbs chili powder or more to taste
    1 ½ tbs cumin or more to taste
    1 tbs garlic powder
    2-3 Jalapeno pepper – chopped and sautéed in butter
    1 TSP Cayenne pepper
    3 cans black beans
    1 ½ bricks cream cheese (possibly more but add a little at a time if you do)
    Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

Pour all ingredients into crock pot (except beans and chicken) on low for 4 hours. Boil and finely shred chicken. Add beans and chicken at 2 hours in. Cut cream cheese into chunks and add to crock pot at 3 hours in. Mix well…

Edit: I made it again and used heavy cream and it was too much cream. I then added another 4ox tomato paste and it was better than before!!
    Last edited by jeep; 12-22-2021 at 01:51 PM.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Default Re: Creamy Shredded Chicken Chili

Wow, that sounds really good. I am not allowed to eat like that, but if I could I would. I bet Liz will be making it when she sees this recipe.

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

ATM I have a large pot of shrimp and lump crab meat gumbo that will be ready soon, plus single servings of chile and red beans and rice in the freezer along with a bunch of stuff that I still haven't cooked yet. Your recipe sounds like a keeper, though. How many does it serve? Does it freeze well with all that dairy?

This is what's on my stove a cookin' but I made a very dark roux: https://www.louisianacookin.com/bayo...nd-crab-gumbo/
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

I made a similar batch a couple of years ago and it froze very well. Time will tell on this batch because it's all gone, lol...

Speaking of shrimp, I have a bunch too. I wonder how it would be in this recipe??? It comes out kind of as a soupy alfredo type meal but with Mexican spices...

Your chicken chili sounds like 'dynamite', Brian - and I mean that in the best way.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I made a similar batch a couple of years ago and it froze very well. Time will tell on this batch because it's all gone, lol...

Speaking of shrimp, I have a bunch too. I wonder how it would be in this recipe??? It comes out kind of as a soupy alfredo type meal but with Mexican spices...
    Only problem Brian, is that you can't slow cook shrimp for any long period of time, cause they'd get very chewy/rubbery - but you could add them raw in the last few minutes of cooking. I'd bet pulled pork doused with some Carolina sauce would be good in your recipe.