AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi. How are you?

Default Hi. How are you?

How do you answer this when you run into somebody you know but is not a close friend? Tell how you answer this and I'll tell you how I always used to answer it is different from how I'm answering it these days. A person or two needs to answer before I do because I'm shy with this.
    Mama Bear

Default Re: Hi. How are you?

I NEVER say, "I'm good" (but I don't go into a 5 minute long saga unless I don't care for the person & personally don't want them to ask me ever again... but that back fires sometimes).

Usually I answer with a 2-liner. Example:

"Aside from the COVID-20 I've gained, my wife bringing a new dog into our family which I swear is my narcissistic mother-in-law in the form of a dog, and still keeping it a secret that I'm a Giants fan... seriously, doing great!... What about you?"

Half the times I still get "I'm good"... but the other half of replies are ACTUALLY INTERESTING & SHORT.

I have drilled it into my boys' heads that if I (or anyone) asks that question, "...I swear to God you'll be doing push-ups until your arms break off if you say 'good'. Don't be long winded but you'll also NOT be lazy, boring, and lack any ounce of frick'n creativity." I've had parents and teachers come up to me and say, "Oh my God, I LOVE how your boys respond when I ask how they are doing! I ask them almost every day!" ... I'm sure my boys are worn out coming up with sh**
    -Elliot

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Lloyd

I am pretty deaf so when my wife tells me someone is talking to me i usually just say

Huh?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I will admit to being super bad about remembering people's name so if I run into someone who seems familiar I will ask "Hi, you seem familiar but I do not recall your name". If I am being asked "How are you" I generally say "I'm doing great, how are you?". Remember that when women are approached by guys they do not know they tend to be very careful.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

If I'm feeling good, I'll sometimes say, to 'how are you ?' :

"If I was any better, I couldn't stand it !"

Usually, that doesn't bring forth any further comment from the asker.

Thanks folks. I guess I'm brave enough to come out of the closet now. Back when I was Wonder Woman I always used to answer "Fine. How are you?" Once the body that was always indestructible started seriously falling apart I felt that was a silly answer when it was obvious that I was not fine. I started saying stuff like, "bent, but still green side up" how are you? When it was really bad I stayed home and didn't have to answer. Now that I'm feeling better for no reason I can fathom I say, "I'm doing well today, thanks". Today at the supermarket I discovered that I was feeling much better (also for no reason I can fathom) I actually found, "Fine, how are you?" coming out of my mouth. It was a short honest answer. I never go into detail.

What do those of you who have achieved level 70 or so say?
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

If I know that the person saying Hi, how are you? really couldn't care less about how I am, then I just say Fine, how bout you? But if I think the person might actually care how I am, then I will tell them and ask about them too.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Liz, if I ran into you and asked how you are, I'd call Bull S*** on you if you said "fine"... talking with you on the phone just that one time... makes me know you've got some funny sh** to say .
    -Elliot

Well, I am not into talking to most people but if I've ever talked to you before I'd say " still above ground thanks how bout you" Jim in Ohio

Real Name
    Jim

In days gone by I'd always respond something like "Good, Good! How about you!". Now it's easier, I just say "still breathing" I feel your pain Liz and hope that in the overall you are well
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Thank you Jim. I hope the same for you. It's been a long time...Nice to see you again.
    Mama Bear

I think if you bump into someone you know, or knew a long time ago and they asked how you are? then some of your answers are a bit flippant. If someone asks you, it would probably mean they ‘are’ actually quite interested in hearing your news. At least give them the time of day and not be in too much of a hurry to brush them off. Too many people just don’t care these days and a chance encounter might just bring back an old friend back in your life.
    If you ask me how I am, I would ask you how much time you have?

Dang, I'm hearing from my old friends today. What a lovely surprise. It's great to hear from you too, Steve.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Dang, I'm hearing from my old friends today. What a lovely surprise. It's great to hear from you too, Steve.
    See, Liz... you're learning! LMAO (...and now running before Liz whacks me on the head)
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Thank you Jim. I hope the same for you. It's been a long time...Nice to see you again.
    Thanks Liz, really nice seeing you again too
    ... Born under a Bad Sign ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast