ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Best ever crab and shrimp gumbo

Default Best ever crab and shrimp gumbo

I wish I could take credit for this recipe. What I did was have an idea of what ingredients I insisted on. I googled around and this was what tickled my mental taste buds they way I wanted them tickled and found this. it is the best but I wish I hadn't gone over the top on the cayenne.

https://www.louisianacookin.com/bayo...nd-crab-gumbo/
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Default Re: Best ever crab and shrimp gumbo

https://www.gumbostop.com/

Best gumbo and etouffee in the world. I’ll try yours cause always make gumbo for Christmas

Looks & sounds real good, Liz - I'll try it sometime.
    I like the idea of a lengthy reduction of the shell simmering part for the sauce - that concentration would surely have a 'punch' of seafood flavoring produced !
    And the Andouille sausage - can't beat that taste with seafood !

Linda often gets packs of '16-20' (number of them to the pound) sized frozen jumbo prawns on sale, so we always have some on hand - & use them in several different ways.

It was the price of the lump crab meat that was a kick in the head. $40. a pound!!!! Although I had been craving this I didn't make it until my new appliances arrived and I discovered that despite what the salesman told me Lowes did not install the stuff for free. I was at a total loss. I thought that I could convert my gas stove to LP gas but it was way more difficult on the new stove than it was on my old one which I did do myself. And I was physically unable to take out the broken over the stove microwave. I was PISSED!

I drove up to my soon to be closest neighbor who spends every spare moment remolding the house his family will be moving to. I hoped that when he had time available he would come help me. Heck, I couldn't even boil water at that point! He grabbed some tools and spent 1/2 the day installing my new stuff for me. I wanted to make him a big pot of gumbo as a thank you. I drove up the other day to ask him how spicy he liked his gumbo. It turns out that he doesn't like gumbo. I had purchased all the ingredients so I made it and get to eat the whole batch myself. All I need to do now is somehow make room in the freezer for all the leftovers.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Looks delish! I will be cooking this soon!!

Real Name
    Willie

Is there such a thing as bad crab cake and shrimp gumbo?
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Thought one or two of you might like to try this Thai Chicken Curry, which is as close as I could get to "recipe-ing" the authentic Thailand chicken curry that I remember from my days visiting Thailand and Malaysia when I was resident in Singapore - It sure is spicy, but great to me !!
    My taste in curries - which I love - always places the Thai variety over any from India, or elsewhere - the red curry paste seems to do it for me !

Recipe for Thai Chicken Curry

Notes:

-Thai Red Curry Paste; Coconut Milk; and Fish Sauce, can be found in the Asian Foods section of supermarket.

- Lemongrass paste can be found in a tube, along with the tubes of fresh herbs section.

- Ingredients:

- 3 or 4 tbspns. of thai red curry paste (any brand)
    - 1 tbspn. of fresh ginger - fine grated-
    - 3 or 4, (or more) fine grated, or pressed, fresh garlic cloves
    - 1/2 small red or white onion, or shallot, sliced into 1/4" wide slivers
    - 1 - 400 ml can of coconut milk (any brand)
    - 1 cup chicken broth
    - 2 tbspns of fish sauce
    - Juice of 1 lime & 1 tspn. grated zest
    - 2 tbspns cider or white wine vinegar-
    - 1 tbspn of lemongrass paste
    - 1 tspn. sugar
    - Breasts of 1 roasted chicken, cut into largish bite-size pieces
    - 1/2 or more of bell pepper (red or orange) cut into bite size pieces
    -1/4 finely diced habanero chile pepper (without flesh ribs or seeds) or 1/2 fine diced jalapeno or serrano pepper (less ribs or seeds)
    - 2 tbspns cornstarch mixed in with water for thickening the curry sauce to desired consistency ( approx. like heavy cream or slightly thicker)-

Preparation:

In a suitably-sized stove-top pot at medium heat, with sufficient vegetable oil to lightly saute/blanch the onion slivers (couple minutes or so), add the thai red curry paste, the pressed garlic, the grated ginger, and the lemongrass paste, swirl to combine together and cook for a minute or two, followed up by adding the chicken broth, fish sauce, lime juice and zest, vinegar, sugar, the cubed bell peppers, and the diced hot chile pepper. Simmer for several minutes and add the coconut milk to combine all, and simmer for a further 6-8 minutes.
    Finally add the cubed chicken breast pieces, suitably combined into the curry, and simmer to heat to a finished chowder- like product while thickening with the cornstarch water as necessary.

Serve over rice of your choice, along with any veggie(s) you care for.

Don't forget a large glass of chilled white wine to accompany.

Oh, and btw, adding some curry powder, cumin & turmeric doesn't hurt either.

Made another 'batch' today, for dinner tonite.

Once it was finished, I tasted it -and I loved it so much once again that I had to get a larger spoon and taste it several more times before placing it in the fridge to sit until reheating at dinner time ! (Next time I'll add more diced habanero chile pepper - I like it a bit hotter).

It was just like I remember the real thing - enjoying it while sitting in a classy Bangkok restaurant !

If you like curry, you must try this - very simple - just find the 4 special ingredients I mentioned in the notes above - which should be readily available at most supermarkets.

Get some fresh cilantro too, and sprinkle some cut up leaf sprigs over top for a finishing touch when serving.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 11-15-2021 at 02:13 PM.

It did sound good when I read it for the first time...so much so that I picked up a lime when I was at the supermarket today because in the back of my mind I knew I needed it for something. Didn't think about the coconut milk though. I'll for sure be making this Paul, I'm just not sure when.

Today I'm having shrimp fried rice. I discovered how much better my fried rice and stir fries come out now that I have a burner on my new gas oven that puts out 8,000 BTU's. Speed and high heat are the most necessary things to make good Chinese and Japanese recipes.
    Mama Bear

Speaking of shrimp, Liz - tomorrow I'm making a frittata with some ingredients I've never tried in a frittata before - i.e. very thinly-sliced chorizo sausage; shrimps; jalapeno Monterey Jack cheese; extra old white cheddar; and diced scallions; (along with a number of other ingredients as well, of course); and slices of avocado added on top just several minutes before the frittata is fully baked.

And speaking of shrimp even more, I'll be making shrimp and grits tomorrow. Sounds terrible but then you taste it. It's heaven.
    Mama Bear

Chef, I made the curry today. I must have done something wrong because it's good but way to acidic. I think it was the lime's fault. It was a large juicy lime and I used all the juice and all the zest. Next time I make it I'll taste as I go. Since I get the gist of how it's supposed to taste and having a clue of where I screwed up will make getting it right easier.
    Mama Bear

Yeah Liz, that was likely too much lime - which, along with the apple cider vinegar, would make it quite acidic.

I like it tart, but perhaps this recipe should be amended - I was just mostly copying from the internet basically.
    Typically, I eyeball it, and only use the juice of just 1/2 of lime, and a modest amount of the zest. This recipe should have reflected that.

Sorry you had a bad result - please try again - however, keep in mind that Thai curry is quite different tasting than Indian curry, and one has to get used to the different flavors.
    You either like it, or you don't ?
    Last edited by discuspaul; 11-23-2021 at 10:49 AM.

I could get the how the flavors were supposed to blend and liked the flavors. I'm sure that I will get it right next time since I'm aware of where I went wrong.
    Mama Bear