ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Importance of GH

Real Name
    Harry

Default Importance of GH

Hi All,

So I measured my GH using an API test kit, measure comes to 4dGH or 71.2ppm.
    Then I measured Calcium and Magnesium in ionic equivalents, Calcium measure comes to 16ppm while Magnesium comes to 7.4ppm.

For regular Discus keeping (not breeding), Are there particular GH levels or Calcium and Magnesium levels I should be aiming for? Are there particular minimums or maximums to keep for fish health?
    Is there a relation between GH and other parameters like PH and KH (i understand KH promotes stability of PH and therefore KH should be atleast 4dKH)?

I ask because I might invest in a GH meter if levels are important. Otherwise, I would prefer to save the money.
    I already have a PH meter and KH meter.

Thanks,
    -Harry

Default Re: Importance of GH

All I can tell you is that there is no minimum as far as I know. Everywhere I have lived the gH has been 0 and has caused my fish no problems. I'm sure there are readings that are too low for our instruments to measure. But I have come to believe that the Discus get the minerals they need from their food, not their water.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Liz
    I'm a little confused. You say that everywhere you have lived gh has been 0. Is that not
    equivalent to distilled water. I have well water that measure 100 gh that I have been led to believe is really good for breeding.
    Thoughts?
    Jay

Registered Member

In my case a tap water GH is 3dGH.
    I'm keeping Stendkers (which might be a little bit different). The support team told me "raising your hardness does wonders" and it's important for adult fish to have GH higher (even above 10). For adult fish there might be a deficiency in minerals which might end up in holes in the head (not hexamita), the reduction of the head's soft tissue, dull scale appliance, lack of vibrance to the fish undertone.

Is it true or not .. I don't know, I don't have enough knowledge and I follow their guidelines and expertise.
    For that reason I adding salts (mainly Seachem Equilibrium), so my tank has GH around 9dGH.
    From my expertise I see a difference in colors after a while of increasing GH level.

My gH is 0 but my kH is 4.5 with. The water has a TDS of around 120
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

I don't keep track of gh and kh, I just go by TDS. But, here's a video that helps to understand gh and kh.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-you-have-time!!