ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Fries attached to one parent (photos)

Registered Member

Default Fries attached to one parent (photos)

Hey all,

I have this pair that managed to have fry at free swimming stage at their 2nd attempt. They have spawned 7 days ago. However it seems only one parent has darkened body and the father didn't. The fry are mostly attached to the mother and she cant catch a break. The father always swims close to the mother and some fry will eat off him as well. The mother will try shake off the fry so the father can take over but it seems they are always following the mother. I'm guessing due to her darkened body.

I've started feeding BBS. Not sure if the fry are eating the BBS though. Any suggestions? Should I just leave them be?

Registered Member

Default Re: Fries attached to one parent (photos)

The male is a Pigeonblood? Pigeonblood don't darken up much as non-Pigeons, but still have some slime production. More work for the female so keep a watch it they start to fight remove the fry.

Cliff

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffsDiscus View Post
    The male is a Pigeonblood? Pigeonblood don't darken up much as non-Pigeons, but still have some slime production. More work for the female so keep a watch it they start to fight remove the fry.

Cliff
    They arent fighting yet. I've been also putting in BBS daily but can't tell if they are eating the BBS or not. Do I still continue putting the BBS?

I would. Just be sure to do WC every day and lean your filter often. They'll start eating it eventually. I understand why the fry prefer the female. I've never seen a fish get that dark for fry. Is the male a PB? At 7 days the fry will be able to take BBS so it the pair starts fighting or the female gets disgusted and starts eating the kids your babies can survive without them.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

How many times a day I should feed them bbs until they are ready to separated from parents?

At least 3 depending on how much you put in at once. I do 3 times daily.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

The male seems to sometimes nip at the female while being in a facing upwards position, is this normal?

Keep a close eye and if you see more aggression or either parent eating the kids remove the male. The female can do it on her own with the help of BBS.
    Mama Bear