ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A new chicken project

Default Re: A new chicken project

Fritz, if my back could still handle it I would own a few dairy goats. I used to have a big herd. Back then I bred show goats. The milk was just a nice biproduct. But Nubian goats give the sweetest most delicious milk. I used it in place of 1/2 and half it was so creamy. It made the creamiest yogurt I have ever had. Except for farmer's cheese I never had the time to make cheese back then 'cause I had a real job so I could support them all.

I'm the same when it comes to chickens. It's the joy I get from having them and raising them and the eggs are a nice biproduct. I enjoy giving my eggs away. Some people really appreciate the quality of eggs from healthy happy free range hens.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 12-09-2021 at 02:35 PM.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Fritz

We are lucky enough to get our milk from 4th generation dairy farmers. They only have about 20 milkers (They had 200 a few years ago)now but the family still loves their work. They sell only to local people and you have to call and order it. My favorite old fashioned breakfast diner is about 5 miles past it so we get our milk on Sundays after breakfast. We give away most of our eggsalso but, most of the neighbors give the boys money now after a year. Its amazing how often the suggest we give away eggs now. lol

We have been talking about goats but I just don't think they would get milked enough. I have been watching goats milk cheese making videos. Looks straight forward and delicious.
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

A dairy animal demand a lot of work from you. Even when they're nursing kids some still need milking daily and once they've weaned their kids some require at least milking once a day to keep them producing. They also require escape proof fencing which will require more than you initially thought. If you keep a male goat (called a buck not a billy) and let him run with the females your milk will taste like the buck smells.

If I were still able to care for a dairy animal I would look for a miniature Jersey. Jersey's and their care takers form a bond similar to what we have with dogs. If you buy the semen and have the vet store it and come in and artifically inseminate your cow.
    Mama Bear

Back to the day old chicks. They are sub adults now. I'll take a pic on a warmer day. I moved them to the chicken house a while ago and when they were old enough I engaged the automatic coop door so it would open when it got light out and closed when it was getting dark. They slowly started exploring the out of doors. They loved scratching around in their 10 X 16 run. Then one day they stopped playing outside. I couldn't figure out why until I counted them. 2 were missing. They were Pullets, of course. None have escaped their enclosure. No possums, fox, or coyote has broken in. It must have been a hawk. I'd seen one perching on the bare branches of the trees outside my pasture. Now my chicken pen is in a pretty well hidden place but hawks have extremely good eye sight and swoop in, grab a meal and swoop off again. Now I have 8 pullets, 5 cockerels and 12 adult hens. Once everyone reaches maturaty 5 roosters will wear all the feathers off the hens because roosters are always in the mood for love. 2 roosters are plenty for a group of 20 hens. I'll have to either sell 3 or eat them.
    Mama Bear

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12