ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new chicken project

Default A new chicken project

One chick hatched out from the 18 supposedly fertile Bielefelder eggs I had shipped to me. She's a little girl. I had no choice but to name a single chick out of what should have been 18. Since she hatched Thanksgiving morning her name is Thanksgiving.

Now I have tried raising a single chick once before with terrible results. I had no choice than go on like and order a group of 15 Bielefelder day olds. They won't arrive until Dec. 3rd when Thanksgiving will be 9 days old. I know how to introduce them and it's similar to what you have to do to divide a tank with egg crate with Discus sometimes. When the new kids come Thanksgiving Thanksgiving will be able to see them and touch beaks with them but not attack them as invaders. After a few days I should be able to remove the egg crate. Right now Thanksgiving has a heat lamp, food, water and a mirror in his part of the brooder. The mirror is important because it lets him know that he's a chick. Poor little Thanksgiving spends all her time trying to find the chick in the mirror. Poor little thing wants to be part of a flock.

I'll post again when the new chicks arrive. Nothing is more fun to me than a new animal project.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Default Re: A new chicken project

Liz
    I have a question. I have chickens,30 of them, 6 different breeds, but I always wanted some bies.
    I was considering either day olds or eggs. I thought eggs would be an interesting in it being a new project for me.
    But now I'm hesitant. Did the co. you ordered them from guarantee them to hatch or replace them and who did you order them from
    Mc murray, ect.?
    Thanks you
    Jay Walsh

I got mine on Ebay from a seller with beautiful pictures and lots of auctions. I'm not crazy about how this person packs their eggs for shipping. They are individually bubble wrapped rather than in a soft foam container made for shipping eggs. If you buy eggs on line ask the seller what his packing methods but even if you approve of how the seller packs remember that shipping eggs is hard on the eggs themselves. Boxes get tossed around during shipping regardless of what the shipper wrote on the box. To the workers it's just another box. If you want to try eggs just do it for fun and have a back up plan. No seller guarantees anything as far as making up for failures. I have gotten day old Bielefelders from Cackle and Meyer hatcheries in the past. These big hatcheries really know what they're doing when it comes to shipping. All the chicks are healthy and do well if you give them what they need. This time my new kids are coming from Hoover's. They get no bad reviews in my chicken forum which is the Simply of chickens. You will love Bielefelders.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Bummer on the eggs Liz but hopeful the new kids arrive well and gives Thanksgiving some company.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I have purchased eggs from the same seller several times with poor results each time. I hope I never have to incubate shipped eggs again. But since I have no rooster I had no choice.

The new babies will be shipped tomorrow. The minimum order for males was 5 so it looks like I'll be eating a lot of fresh shipping when the boys get big enough. I don't like that job but I've done it and know I can do it. BTW, t here is no better chicken stock than stock made with a home grown chicken including the feet. 10 girls are coming along with the 10 boys. Little Thanksgiving is doing well but she really needs friends.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Fritz

we had a broody hen and got 2 babies. of course the adult chickens think they look delicious. Now I have 2 chicks in my bathroom at night and in a cage in the front yard during the day. I swear one told me I need to lose weight after a shower. They are really used to being handled and follow my 9 year old son around the yard. Our chicken adventures continue aye Liz. lol
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Real Name
    Fritz

The chickens evening digs for alittle while longer. lol

chickens.jpg
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Here's my new family. They arrived Friday. I have ordered from 2 other well known hatcheries but these from Hoover Hatchery are easily the most vigorous day old's I've ever received. The one looking at her pretty reflection in mirror is Thanksgiving. She couldn't wait to get in and play with her new little friends.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Fritz

cute little buggers if my wife see them she will be ordering 15 more.

They look even more adorable in person. In person your eye adjusts to the red light I think.

I did have one with pasty butt this morning. I cleaned her off and put her back. She still looked uncomfortable. She was having a hard time pooping cause everything was backed up. She managed it herself twice but cheeped in pain. The next time she started looking miserable I picked her up put her rear end expressed the last hard poop. She started feeling better shortly after. She had been picking at food but then little by little she is eating more and more and more importantly drinking more. She pooped again 3 times in a row while I was watching the flock after WC. She did cheep with pain but it was over quickly each time and when she was empty she went back to being a normal baby chick. I have no idea how I figured out what would work. I thought of two other options but this was what seemed most likely to work. She is a wee bit smaller than her friends.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Fritz

your a great chicken mom. You and my wife could make a chicken farm. <3

I'll take her if she has a strong back, Fritz.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

This is really cool. I wish I had some chickens. I know someone in my area has them because they always get loose and roam the neighborhood after a bad storm, lol... They're black and pretty quiet. I rarely hear them at all...

Why not get some, Brian. If you have hens only they don't make a lot of noise except when they show off to the world that they have laid an egg. Fresh eggs from hens that have access to a big yard where they can find bug, worms, and grass and other growing things are good for them.. My nephew Tom said that my eggs tasted like sunshine. That's a lovely thing to hear but I know the truth. They taste so good because the chickens eat everything including stuff they find outside that seems gross to us.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I'll take her if she has a strong back, Fritz.
    Oh ya she has a strong back. To bad we are not closer together. eggs are pretty easy to sell when they are fresh, organic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast