AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: After 20+ years getting back into Discus!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kathy

Default After 20+ years getting back into Discus!

I’m excited and terrified at the same time. The last time I had discus there was no internet. The only source of info were books and a telephone - if you were lucky enough to have someone’s number who was willing to speak with you. I had varying success back then but now with this site I am excited. I “think” I have a 160 gallon former reef aquarium on the way. Still waiting on the seller to get back with us. My husband raised Africans for awhile and after a promotion at work, no longer has the time and is selling off tons of them. Once we are down to only the 330 tank of big boys, I will have room for the new discus tank!!

Going to Wattley since he is only 2 hours away and I get to pick my own fish.

I’m a nervous wreck and am up at night figuring out the finest details of everything. I’ll be asking opinions here to help me sleep as we sell off Africans.

Thanks for this site! I now have hope.
    Last edited by Tikitank; 11-29-2021 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Grammatical error

Real Name
    Frank

Default Re: After 20+ years getting back into Discus!

Welcome! Post pictures when you have them.

Welcome Kathy. I'm 20 years into the hobby myself. Discus were actually my first fish except for when I was a kid and had a 10 gallon. I learned everything I know here. Seek and you will find. Have questions and someone here will have an answer. Have fun on your Discus journey and like Frank said, we love so see pics.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Welcome! I’m back 3 yrs now. Also started in the time before internet . Back when Wattley was king. Now it’s best to go there and look and pick your own.
    Plenty of great info here! Good luck with your new beginning!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kathy

Thanks so much for the warm welcome. My 160 gallon tank arrives tomorrow! I’m so excited. Then the questions will start……��

Registered Member

You notice the changes over the 20 years. I had the same pleasure. My first discus were bought at Fairy Lake in San Francisco over 30 years ago. Left discus for 20 years. Returned to discus three years ago when one of my customers at the bank gave me an aquarium and Kenny's phone number. I really got lucky in that regard. You see how all has change with regard to color choices and foods.

Registered Member

Welcome!

Registered Member

[QUOTE=nah;1361083]You notice the changes over the 20 years. I had the same pleasure. My first discus were bought at Fairy Lake in San Francisco over 30 years ago.

Herman Chan was the King of Discus back then over 30 years ago.

Registered Member

Without internet I wonder how I found Herman back in the day. It must have been via his ads in tropical fish magazines. The guy who founded The Greater Seattle Aquarium Society some 30 years ago bred angelfish. It may have been he who discovered discus and told me about it. I drove from Seattle to San Francisco, met Herman and drove home with a dozen discus. I do believe I have 4 breeding pairs from that purchase. What was that guy? Axel something made a discus book. So I used that as my guide. It is so different now, as you know Cliff. Hybrid fish, medications, color and growth foods, water conditions, and UPS or Fed Ex instant shipping. All different now. So Tikitank has a lot to learn and discover.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kathy

Yes, I certainly do and I’m spending all that time absorbing things on Simply. My iPad informed me that my screen time went up 178% this week! Yesterday I listened to a 2 hour YouTube video chat with Cary Strong & Tammy Kuilderd. Loved it. Can’t wait to see how much screen time I use next week. Lol

Real Name
    Tom

Lots to learn and 2 of the best there on utube! How’s the tank going? Check out all the sponsors here. All have great discus! All deliver overnight! Many will send you videos of what the they’re sending you.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kathy

The tank is sitting in its spot waiting for the filters to be plumbed. My daughter wants to learn how to do this so Christmas Day she is coming over and she and my hubby will be doing it. Yes, this is what we consider fun in my family. I’ve been collecting food and have Al’s FDBW and a container of Bug Bites so far. I have two 55 gallon barrels next to the tank to age water for WCs. I’m soooooo ready but my biggest obstacle is finding the fish I want. I’m 2 hours from Wattleys and would LOVE ago pick my own fish as each strain has different patterns & color, but can’t find the colors I want in the 4 inch size. Golden State Discus gets a new shipment on Dec 27 so will check them.

Real Name
    Tom

Lol yes to me I’m think the most fun is setting up the tank. Probably why I have 7. But 1 patience! Check the websites and get what you want. 4” is good 5” is better . 2 set up a 29g to 45g now. Cycle it out so it’s ready to take your incoming fish. While in this tank you can grow them out and get them used to your water. Than after you add them to your new tank you can put all new discus in this tank for a month or so and acclimated them to your water. Many very good sellers here: Chicago discus,Dennis discus,Ping,Pongo both sell Forrest discus. Winnies Discus and of course Hans. All of these are on the east coast. Many pics of these fish can be found on the Facebook site.

Registered Member

I'm coming back to Discus keeping too. Glad that there are many of us.